Do you ever get used to "putting down" a baby chick?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Avalon1984, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I hope I am in the right area here but I wonder if you ever get used to having to end the life of a suffering baby chicken? It is just so terrible… my chicks are dying left and right because of something they got from the hatchery. Some die quickly but others just suffer for hours. Today I had to kill one again to stop its suffering. It is just terrible. I tried to break its neck and although I heard it break, it continued to breathe, making the already hard task even more traumatic. I ended up using the scissor method and all of a sudden it jumped out of my hand, flopping around and blood all over the place. It finally died in my arms. Why does this hurt so much each and every time? I am just torn up. I can’t even think straight.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Nope, not for me, anyway. And it doesn't help a bit when it isn't instant, as we intend. I'm so sorry.

Do you have any long handles pruning shears? Or maybe a hand sized set if they are sharp.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    It will get better, I promise! It doesn't necessarily get easier, but as time goes on you see that it is needed, and it helps you come to terms with it. Don't fret, it will get better!

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    There are other methods out there, like placing a chick in a bucket with some dry ice, or even in the freezer. I know those don't sound better, but if you are being tramutized by the experience you may want to try something a little less hands-on.

[​IMG] and good luck.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

No

It's when taking a life doesn't bother you that you need to start worrying.

I've had chickens all my life and I'm no youngster, but it still bothers me even though I cull hundreds of chicks a year. It's just a part of farming, but never a pleasant part.

6. Rancho Libertad

Rancho Libertad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Acton, California
    I feel too guilty about doing this with my chicks. So, my Dogo Argentino (Argentine Mastiff) has absolutely no problem with this. So I simply hand the chick over and my big girl simply swallows. I probably should not post this, but I sympathize with your thoughts.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I had a very, very bad experience where a chick wouldn't die, no matter how many times I broke its neck.

So, I don't judge for the dog method. You have to do what you have to do, within reason.

8. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sick and dying animals, I don't enjoy ending their life, but I am thankful I know how to end their suffering.

I'm not nice, I'm pretty cold-hearted - every once in a while, we have a rabbit kit who is just not right for lack of a better term - you look at this newborn and just KNOW that they will never live a healthy life for anything. I end their life and give the chickens the remains, they think it's a treat. I figure I ended the suffering and gave the kit some use, given as these are meat rabbits in the end anyway.

But I can't say I'm used to it or I enjoy doing it.

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I couldn’t do the ice method as I don’t want it to freeze to death and just sit there and wait. Sounds like that may even take longer. My biggest mistake was to try and break its neck first. That doesn’t seem to work. Once I used my sharp scissors it was gone fairly quickly but still…it’s just so terrible. I don’t want to prolong its suffering because I cannot handle that part, it is my responsibility as the owner but it does hurt so much.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by