Do you ever randomly throw food together for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 27, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I do! do you guys. I dig in the cupboards, frigerator etc and throw together the most gross looking thing, Like I took babyfood, rice krispys, and beans and boy! did they like it lol.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I have only done that so far with veggies that I knew would go bad before I was able to use them myself. I hate waste and this way I don't look at like wasting. My girls and Roo get a fabulous and nutritious treat!!! [​IMG]

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I do it all the time. I throw in what is left on my son's plate, what is left on my other son's plate (not much), what is left on my daughter's plate (a lot) and finally what is left of any vegetables, meat, bread or anything else that doesn't get up and walk off on it's own. What the raw milk soured and separated, they got that to. Anything that doesn't have mold on it and has been in the refridge longer than three days does as well. The chickens love the casseroles that come their way.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I do..much to the dismay of my three labs...but every meal with leftovers..go to my chickens!! if I have a box of pasta that has been sitting there for a while...I cook it and give it to them as a treat!! I love to see them come running with treats!!

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I've just started doing that. I just had some apples that were not looking so good anymore, so I sliced them up, and tossed them in a blender with some plain yogurt and cranberry juice (acidity to help keep the apple mush from turning brown really fast) and blended it all up! I served it to them and STOOD BACK as they devoured it. I had a few days worth so the leftover mush is in the fridge for a daily serving until it is gone. Anything else like leftovers that are still edible, just getting on the older side go to them too. If they are nervous about a new food, I sprinkle a handful of dry quick oats on top and watch them pounce. Once they get a beakful of the new stuff under the oats they realize it is yummy!

I try to give them something other than their normal feed at least every other day. If you had to eat the same thing everyday, wouldn't that be so boring? Usually then it is something like cooked split peas, oatmeal (cooked), yogurt, etc.

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Yes all the time they love it just be carefull and dont give them rotten food they can get sick to...... Allmustgo (what we call left overs sounds more apealing) is fine just not rotten....

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    In the winter my girls get cooked oatmeal about 3 times a week. They love it. In the summer its lots of fresh veggies. My neighbor just gave me some turnip and mustard greens. Im gonna make a pot of greens and what left they will get. At christmas and Thanksgiving they get the turkey carcass.

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Not only do I do that, but I made them special muffins last weekend. I have a bag of dust left over from their layer crumbles. And I read here or somewhere about taking a basic banana bread recipe and removing the bad ingredients like sugar and salt. And substituting flour for the dust from their feed. I put in a mashed banana, some apple sauce, a grated apple and a grated zucchini. And baked them till they were firm.

I've been putting one in their treat bowl late at night so they find it in the morning and it's gone. They don't hoover it up. They kind of peck at it like, we know this is our food and this is boring. But then then find the bits of apple or zucchini and slowly it disappears.

9. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Mine just got an entire whole wheat pizza crust because I didn't put enough yeast in it [​IMG] So um...yeah I do. They went CRAZY and fought the goat for it [​IMG]

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    The chickens help me clean out my 'frig.

Before chickens, it was a job for my black lab--he was a garbage gut--but he passed away a year ago. I missed his special ability--I hate wasting food. But now I have chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by