Do you ever secretly wonder if........

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by crzychickenlady, Dec 29, 2009.

1. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Your kid is a few sammiches shy of a basket full?

I have one child that I have to wonder about. I have 3 kids, ages 14, 10 and 7 months and I worry so about my middle child....Sometimes I just feel like I have a 10 year old toddler running around my house.

Is it just me????

Is it normal for a 10 year old to crawl around on the floor and play hide and seek with herself? Or for her to bark like a dog or mew like a cat instead of actually talking? Or for her to get into things like a 2 year old would and then say "I didn't do it". Or for her to play with the babies toys and even go so far as to chew on the frozen teether???

Someone tell me these things are normal! LOL! [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    These things are normal!! My 12 year old almost made me a basket case at that age! SOOOO EXTREMELY immature!!!!! Then I had her tested for ADD/ADHD. She is on Ritalin very very low dose. Turns out most of her behavior issues were lack of ability to focus on anything long enough to control herself. I'm not saying your kid is either, just that's been my experience. Hopefully she will outgrow and wean off the meds, but for now....I like that she does better on her work and doesn't make me loopy!! P.S. I also homeschool said lunatic..[​IMG] I love my silly kid though!!!!

ETA: We also work on non med focus techniques. My post sounds like I just threw her on meds...it took about a year for us to FINALLY decide it may be best, and it has been. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    Mine is ADHD, diagnosed several years ago but I never medicated. Thinking that may not be a bad idea now tho. [​IMG]

She does well in school for the most part, her behavior "issues" are mainly at home. I love her to pieces but she is driving me insane...which isn't a long road. [​IMG]

It just makes it harder to deal with now that I have an infant in the house. [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Actually, I learned that is not uncommon in girls. Performance in school...A's. Performance at home....D!! It is usually social skills and similar issues with females. When we put my kid on the meds, it made everything get better. OMG...she used to butt in and say things completely off topic, out of the blue, and then laugh hysterically like she said something funny. She actually believed she had. That was here major social dysfunction besides not understanding others feelings. She is doing great now. We put off meds as long as possible, but Math grades went down the tubes and she cried at every page in her book. I felt so sorry for her!! We don't even give her the 10 mg the doctor says to give daily, we split it in half, and she is a different, HAPPIER, child! It's still amazing to me the difference it has made!! Give it a try, but carefully, you don't want her drooling staring into space. First meds we went through that for almost a month, bc we were told let it regulate and see if that changes. We wound up changing at 3 weeks. She gave Ritalin, and it has been good since. No meds on the weekends, because we don't want her to get too used to it or rely on it, AND we want her to eventually be totally off them and make adjustments for herself behavior wise. The big thing if you go for meds is have a plan and stick to it. Eventually she shouldn't need it. If you want more info. you can PM me. We have been through this for years literally, on and off the meds. I truly understand!!!

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    One word ASPBERGERS (find out what that means and see if it applies) Especially before you use psycotropic drugs... Really... If Aspbergers syndrome is present some of the psycotropics can damage areas of the brain... . Before administering brain altering drugs.. I would prove through a scan that it has a malfunction. PPL dispense these meds like M & M's only to find out years later that the damage has been done. Seriously if there is something suspected... Get an expert... you cannot fix brain injury... If you damage the intellegence center... It is permanent. JUST A THOUGHT as we hand out medical advice on a chicken forum. There is a website called O.A.S.I.S that has an australian scale test... Go check it out... READ READ READ... If the behaviors "feel" odd... you are probably right.

6. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I already know about Aspberger's Syndrome, and someone who has it. Thanks for the info though [​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My middle child was diagnosed with ADD in 5th grade - he wasn't quite that bad - but does tend to interupt everything and think that the world is out to get him. Tends to lack cause and affect "sense". He is now almost 18 and we only medicated part way through 7th grade. He has struggled in school somewhat, but now that he is "maturing" he is finally doing better. My 15 year old had more of the behaviors you describe but has always done well in school until last year. This year is an improvement but I think some of her problems just have to do with teenage angst. She personally thinks she is the "H" in ADHD. She has always been a bit more immature and a total spaz. She seems to be growing out of it though and even has a boyfriend who adores her for her quirkiness. Sports activities helped her the most learn to focus. My son did horrible in most sports though.

8. chickenmamalp

chickenmamalp Chillin' With My Peeps

NORMAL!!!!!!
    I have an 8 year old boy that is that way I just shake my head and ask him what are you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He can never walk anywhere ,has to run ,even in the house.
    He lets out these squeals and acts mentally ill (trying to be nice)!gets in trouble in school,on the bus,at home.
    I do not believe in putting children on drugs! I am a nurse. I do understand the good/bad effects.
    I pray a lot and know one day he will grow out of it.
    Maybe, my patience is being tested.
    Have her write a book and Chanel her imagination, maybe she'll become a famous author and take care of you!!!!LOL

Best of Luck!

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    She's not the baby any longer, you have a 7 mos. old. To me it's normal....

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    OMG thank you! I was thinking about this yesterday- and was afraid if I posted the question everyone would think I was strange.

My 9 year old daughter never stops singing! And acting! I hate taking her anywhere because she always seems like she's acting out a part in a musical. I mean- even in a busy store parking lot! It's like someone plucked Julie Andrews right out of the "dancing on the hilltop" scene and dropped her into traffic. [​IMG]

She's a middle child too. My 2 older boys are both gifted- not like this at all. I swear she's a few cards shy of a full deck. I've told her doctors and they act like they don't even hear me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by