Do you ever step on your chickens feet?

joebat

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
I swear every morning when I go out to feed my new flock on 19? week old wyandottes, I have to shuffle my feet to keep from stepping on someones toes. I weigh about 190lbs and I know it can't feel very good to them, they just squawk like " Hey! get off my feet so I can get to the chow". And then it seems that the chicken that was pinned down will invariably move to get in front of the other foot as it comes down (I think, I have 17 chickens and sometimes it is just hard to tell) So far nobody's been injured and they don't seem to mind being stepped on. I think chicken feet must be very limber. I try to always say "oh I'm sorry". I have very friendly chickens. Does anyone else share the same experience with their chickens. Oh, and I think I am fixing to get eggs.!!!!
big_smile.png

Usually with me, it's them stepping on my toes
big_smile.png
I'm a flip flop wearer most times out in the coop and it seems as though they just can't help but put some poo tracks across my feet!!
lau.gif
Congratulations on getting eggs soon!

Mine run across my feet all the time. I have a couple girls I've stepped on theirs, though. It's always the same few. They rush to get under my feet to try and get any treats I may have first. It's always "squack!" Then as soon as I hurriedly move, they are fine.

Yes! It is purely by accident and like you I have to shuffle each footstep around before actually stepping down. My girls are super friendly and super stubborn, no matter what breed.

I don't think it hurts them too much when I do, as I usually instantly pick my foot back up pretty quickly (I walk around barefoot, as the girls are out on a nice pasture anyway) and they don't complain much.

My yak stepping on their feet was a whole other story though.
hmm.png

Wait, what's this got to do with feed/watering?
tongue.png

Last edited:
I guess it is usually the opposite for me. Simple visits to the pasture are the worst, however, feeding/watering, they're usually pretty smart and clear a path. They know that the more they hold me up, the longer it takes to get the food.
wink.png

when I had mine I stepped on their feet all of the time, not matter how many times I shuffled along I ended up stepping on them! but none of them seemed injured in the slightest.
The worst thing I ever did is I accidentally snipped a spike off the comb of my Ancona hen, she didn't care but I sure did!

Just once. My girls follow me and are always practically under my feet. I was cleaning the run and when I stepped back an inch, I stepped on my youngest EE's toes. She let out a screech! I hope it never happens again.

Quote:
This happened to me once too. I almost cried, I felt so bad. Actually our Buff O. had a bruise on her toes for a few days. She healed up really well though, hopefully to stay clear of my feet.

Back
Top Bottom