Do you ever?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jforsness, Jan 22, 2009.

1. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    As a treat, I occasionally give the 3 B's a little bit o' cooked chicken. Does anyone else do this? Is it right? Just curious as they love the taste of chicken (and cheese). [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you choose to feed it, it's a good source of protein for them. They only look at it as food, not their great aunt Betsy.

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    My chickens go ga-ga over canned cat food. I will occassionally give them a treat of Wal_mart canned "fish-type" catfood. When they hear the can open they come running.

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We let ours pick over whatever makes it past the dogs and cat. Somewhere out there on the ranch is a chicken foot they ran off with, that they got ahold of at butchering time. It was a little morbid to see them all chasing after the thief with a leg hanging out of its beak.

5. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Re-assuring replies - thank you [​IMG]

My wife is vegetarian and gives me 'the look' when I treat my B's with a little tasty chickie snack. I say "hey, they're omnivores, they don't know the difference"

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I should invite her to my house. She can watch my chooks beat the snot out of a frog by beating it against the wall of the house before they consume it. Now that's gross! [​IMG]

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We feed our flock any well-cooked meat left-overs that we have...chicken included, especially in the winter time.

Just like alot of things about raising chickens, it purely a personal choice. [​IMG]

Dawn

8. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ya-the frog thing is nasty! I never expected them to do that! They chased each other trying to get a turn thrashing the poor thing. I also saw them with a bat (but i didn't let them eat it.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by