Do You "Exp Date" Label The Carton, On Your For Sale Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeGriz, Dec 20, 2009.

1. DeGriz

DeGriz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    Just wondering.

We have just sold our first extra eggs. Three dozen went in 2 minutes at $2.00/doz. at the wifes work.

One person asked "how long they will keep" or to the point "what is the expiration date".

I prefer to think of it as a "Best if used by..."

But I really had no good anwer. I refridgerate the eggs as soon as I collect them so How long would they be good for?

I have been marking the carton with the date I finished filling the carton.

What do some of you do?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I'm pretty new to this site but from the reading I have done if not washed thay will last up to 8wks on the kitchen countermaybe longer and about 12 to 16 wks in the refir. So I would say tell them between 4 to 6 wks. [​IMG]

3. DeGriz

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    So does anybody date label the cartons they sell?

4. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i don't

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    We date ours with a "Best By" date that is 30 days from the date of lay/collection. For example, today's eggs are dated Best By 01/21/10. We sell at farmers markets and sellout every week. If a customer asks, we tell them the truth. 1) we never have an egg a week old because we sellout weekly and 2) even if not consumed by the Best By Date on the cartons, they will still be fresher than grocery store eggs.

I also explain the Julien dates that are used on commercially packed (grocery store) eggs.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I date them when I start a carton and when it's filled, but I don't date them for my customers. The same people buy a couple dozen a week, so I don't worry about them going bad. They're consumed long before that could happen.
    Eggs that haven't had the bloom washed off of them can last a very long time.

7. DeGriz

Jun 4, 2009
    Poway, CA.
    Quote:Thanks for the info. Kim_NC, judging by your website it sure seems you know what your talking about.

I did a search on the "Julien dates" but didn't find any mention.

Care to offer a quick lesson?

BTW, A nice cold grape NeHi sure would bring back some sweet childhood memories. [​IMG]

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
  9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Thanks for the info. Kim_NC, judging by your website it sure seems you know what your talking about.

I did a search on the "Julien dates" but didn't find any mention.

Care to offer a quick lesson?

BTW, A nice cold grape NeHi sure would bring back some sweet childhood memories. [​IMG]

I have a misspelling in there - it's Julian date. In the Julian date system, each day of the year is given a number...with Jan 1st being 1 and Dec 31st being 365. Most states require that egg cartons show the Julian date that the eggs in the carton were packed or laid. For example, last week I saw eggs in a grocery store with a Julian date of 313 - that was Nov 9th. So those eggs were already 5+ weeks old. They also had a "use by" date of Jan 29th.

You can get a Julian calendar that covers several years here:
    http://modland.nascom.nasa.gov/browse/calendar.html

Oh yeah, that Grape Nehi is quite popular. We ship cases and cases everyday - Peach and Orange too. [​IMG]

edit - 'cause I just can't type this evening!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by