Do you feed indside or outside the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Texas ChickenZ, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    I personally can feed inside, outside, in between.... Well, you get the picture. But what about the chicken feeder? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I'm going to build a feeder and would like to know the best place to put it. My coop is fairly small, so I'd like to avoid taking up any more room than necessary. My run is covered, so I wouldn't have a problem with wild birds eating my feed. Any suggestions?

2. I have half my run covered in tin and I have the feeder under it from all the snow and rain(snowing now) but I turn them out about 1 o'clock to free range until bed time. Usually if it raining or snowing they just stay in the coop marrie

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have feeders both inside and outside.

The problem I have with one outside feeder is, even though it is in a covered run, it stil gets wet when it rains and is windy - so spoiled food.

meri

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Feed and water inside. Any treats I give outside, unless it's a yucky day and they don't want to go out.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

outside,,, cept 3 times a year when it rains [​IMG]

6. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I have a movable chicken tractor - food is on the outside half, and is covered from overnight condensation/dew, rain, etc.

7. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    In the covered run. tried it in the coop and wasted lots of crumble because they looked for the cracker jack prize at the bottom or something. went to pellets and they still scooped it out into the poopy floor. Coop for sleeping and eggs, Run for playing and eating!

8. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Since we have the chicken shack up. I am doing scratch outside and age appropriate feed inside [​IMG]

9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

we feed and water outside the coop - our food is covered with a little hut type of thing we made though to keep rain/snow off of it so it doesnt get wet and the pen is also covered with a tarp as well to help keep the girls dry also.

Our coop just isnt big enough for food/water in it.

10. too much fun

too much fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Happy Valley, Utah
    I have food and water both inside and out. Outside is covered and does not get wet. I use pellets and they quickly pick up any that they spill. They drain both feeders and waterer's quite regularly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by