• Only after being medicated

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
My chickens just had to be treated for worms and I'm being told I can't eat the eggs for a MONTH!!!!
Which is going to be hard on my family, because we are vegetarian and won't eat any animal products from a grocery store or these "factory farms".

People suggested me I take the eggs they lay, scramble them, and feed them back to them.

Some people said they do this on a regular basis, even when they haven't been treated for worms.

I don't know why this is so shocking to me, but it just feels odd to be feeding a chicken it's egg. Even though it's scrambled, won't that instill a love of the taste of eggs? I don't want them to start eating their own.

What do you do???

HeatherEmme

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
I feed eggs to my pullets because it's practically the only treat they will eat. I never had any pause doing that. Now, feeding my chickens...er...chicken (which technically you could do) just skeeves me out. Couldn't do it.

As long as it's scrambled and doesn't resemble an 'egg' shape (mash if you hard boil) then they won't put two and two together. I think they develop a taste for eggs if say one was broken in the coop and they tried it and discovered it was tasty. HTH =)

lorain's fids

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
New Jersey
I feed my chickens hard boiled eggs. Also I do save egg shells when I am cooking and then I bake the shells and grind them up and give feed them back to the girls.

WoodlandWoman

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Wisconsin
It's not a problem to feed the eggs back to the chickens, except that in this case, you'd just be feeding the wormer residue in the eggs back to them. That's not the kind of recycling you want to be doing.

Top Bottom