1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you feed your chickens meat....(like chicken)?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clairabean, Feb 11, 2011.

1. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I had never really thought about it. The scraps just go in to the chicken bowl. We rarely eat chicken or turkey, but at Christmas I chucked the turkey carcass to the chickens, as per instructions here. They loved it. Hubby was mortified. Last night I snuck the leftover chicken scraps to them. But it did make me stop and think for a minute.

So, what is the real dirt on this feeding chickens chicken thing?[​IMG]

2. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    It's good for them! I give my girls leftover chicken all the time

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I just gave mine a chicken snack. They don't know what it is and even if they did, do you really think that would stop them from chowing down?[​IMG]

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    They love all kinds of meat. And to them, it is just that- meat (food). They don't know if it's beef or pork or chicken or what. They just know it as something to eat.

5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I feed mine chicken and turkey all the time and they love it... Nothing is funnier (and twisted) to me than seeing a chicken run a wide open sprint across the yard with a chicken leg in it's mouth..... [​IMG]

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    i do, they love it!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

I feed mine chicken and turkey all the time and they love it... Nothing is funnier (and twisted) to me than seeing a chicken run a wide open sprint across the yard with a chicken leg in it's mouth..... [​IMG]

Yep! [​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You are just sick Ms.FuzzyButts! [​IMG]

9. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I think the first snack I ever gave my chickies was leftover fried chicken when they were about 4 weeks old. Now at 17 weeks, they LOVE all sorts of leftover meat. Now, I give them almost everything that's leftover in the kitchen. It's a toss up who gets the leftovers - the chickens or the dogs. The chickens usually win!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by