Do you feed your ducklings wet mash or dry feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happydog, Apr 10, 2011.

1. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I've been feeding my ducklings a dry feed but good grief - they make such a horrendous mess out of the brooder going between the feed and the water. It seems like it's constantly wet and NASTY in there.

I just read in The Resilient Gardener about feeding them a wet mash instead. I'm wondering if anybody has tried that and how it works for them. Seems like it would eliminate the slopping back and forth between feed and water. I'm hopeful anyway, lol.

Anybody tried feeding wet mash?

2. fishinchicken

fishinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    I tried both and I don't think there is any real difference....they are just messy!!! Between the food mess, the water mess, and the poo mess it becomes a battle of the wills. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG] I agree!!!

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dry food & water they are going to make a mess but wet mash and water....even bigger mess. They will still take a mouthful and go have a drink and splat it up the brooder walls. Thats what ducklings do best [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I will dampen feed sometimes for the first two days if I have a particularly small duckling - But otherwise leave it dry. Being in such a warm environment feed can very quickly go moldy so while they do dampen it themselves- Starting with dry feed reduces the risk of the feed going off.

6. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    My ducks make their wet mash themselves. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by