1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do you find people dont treat chickens as well as they treat others

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by animals1981, Mar 3, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    not sure if it what i noticed but it seems a lot of people just ssee chickens as "objects" not living creatures that should always be respected dispite what you are using them for meat show pets etc..

I find a lot of people just shove chickens in these tiny cages and it is so disgusting!

At the auctions it seems like many people dont know how to properly handle chickens? Maybe they just don't care ? It makes me so FURIOUS!

U would never see someone treat a Parrot or a rabbit or a dog like this! It makes me SO FURIOUS!!!!!!!!!!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

THe sad part about it is people DO treat dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, etc., very poorly. Animal abuse is rampant these days and it's sad.

3. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:I agree.
    All forms of animal abuse is sad and wrong.
    People abuse is also rampant these days, and is sad and wrong.

4. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    From the BYC Rules:

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.

Thank you for understanding. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    From the BYC Rules:

3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

Please utilize the "Report" button when you have an issue with a post. Thank you for understanding. ~Lisa~

Our chickens are pets. As is my horse. And my 3 house rabbits.
    The chicken occasionally come inside. IMHO they are no different than parrots​

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My chickens are pets too - though they do stay outside. However, if one is injured or sick, in they come.

7. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    Quote:you wouldve hated to be at my house earlier..i had 2 filthy chickens and 3 filthy goats running around here! [​IMG]
    i figure that they are slightly less gross and dirty than kids, so why not let them in from time to time? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Same here.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    What would you even define as a 'pet'? Isn't it just something you care about quite a bit, and enjoy?

I would think all my animals are pets.. sure, they don't come inside, but I care about them all, equally, no matter what, I think all animals need love. Sure, we often eat our animals, they definitely serve a purpose, but while they are here they are treated with the utter most respect. I can actually be proud about eating our animals, because they aren't in tiny cages, they aren't shuffed back and forth, nor are they totured and beaten, injected with anything, nor are they just something to solely make money off of, they are my pets, and I enjoy them. Yes, we may sell some, but they aren't items by any means.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Folks, here is the first warning to play nice here. Choose your words wisely when you post.

I will never diaper a chicken, though injured birds do stay in a playpen in my livingroom for brief periods when they need to. My birds are not filthy and do not stink and do not have parasites, so it's no different than having the dog in the house.

What I find odd is that anyone would be disturbed by someone else treating an animal well. In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by