Do you foster?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by GlitterKitty, Jun 24, 2010.

1. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Hi! I was just wondering if any of you fostered animals?? I think it's really cool to do that and our family has taken in alot of cats [​IMG] Were thinking about fostering rabbits...if its possible? I don't know but our current rescues (4 kittens) have already found a home for themselves. Except for the little girl...but someone has called for her to.

So anywho! Tell me your stories!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I fostered 3 litters of kitten and their mommas. Cant do it anymore though, since we don't have the room, and I ended up keeping one of my last foster kittens. I do donate to the rescue when I can.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I think it is so great that you do that! [​IMG] I really want to foster dogs, but my parents said NO. [​IMG] We lost one of our cats, Oliver to a coyote a few months ago. My sister and I were eyeballing a litter of orange kittens. The 3 left were recently titled ''urgent'', and we asked and asked, but they said no. Today the title changed to ''out of time'', and there names disapeared from the list. [​IMG] I feel super bad, I am pretty sure that means they were euthanized today. Oliver was a shelter kitty, and he cried SO bad that my mom actually got him! I miss Olli a lot! [​IMG]

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I've fostered a few dogs. I can be tough sometimes because many of the dog have medical issues, so it can be costly. I had one dog that wasn't quite right in the head and we ended up having to put him down. The last guy we fostered, we liked him so much we adopted him.
    This is Gino...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    ive raised two litters of kittens that went on to get much wanted homes... long haired maine coons. but nothing like a dog or anything.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We fostered at our old house when we had more time and space, not through official programs though. We would go to pounds, adopt, work on temperament issues and find out the best home, then find a home for him/her. At this new house we haven't had a chance to foster! People keep dumping dogs, last year we found three cats, ALL three pregnant, locked in a crate on the side of the highway. We thought it was just a crate and mom said, hey free crate (we were going to have to buy one for a puppy anyway) and I FREAKED out when it moved! We've lived here for 5 years, and had 10+ animals dumped. Most of the time you find the owners, but around here they tell you flat out, if you make me take it, I'ma shoot it.

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:It is so cruel that people do that! [​IMG] How could someone put 3 pregnant cats in a cage on the side of the highway? Don't they have a heart? At least if they had opened the cage they would have been able to find food and water. Gosh, I can't stand people who do that, and they don't even feel bad! [​IMG]

8. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    The other way to look at it, is that they put the crates out and someone was likely to stop for a free crate. And thus find the cat and hopefully take care if it. NO, I do not subscribe to such behavior. At ALL. But had the cats run free, would the be in good hands by now?

Thanks everyone for trying to help any less fortunate feathered or furry beast. I too try to help out whatever comes on my path. The horse stayed, the dogs found homes, and currently, I am batteling a cat-kitten explosion from a neighbor that moved but forgot something in the back yard. [​IMG] (Anyone? One 3 month old, RTG full on shots, litterbox trained, very people oriented. And a few very friendly ones right now that will make great cats.)

9. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    We picked a border collie up off the side of the road and figured we could just foster her for a while until a BC rescue organization could find her a forever home.

Rescue thing didn't work out, so I guess you could say we're still 'fostering' her. Been about four years now. [​IMG]

We'll foster her until she dies of old age, I reckon. [​IMG]

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Here's the kitties that were dumped, making themselves at home
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by