Do you free range on stormy days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nicole01, May 24, 2012.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    4-5 of older girls had brooder pnemounia when they were a few weeks old. One knocked the waterer over and got wet, infected 3-4 other chicks. Now all carriers, but I kept them. There hasn't been any more sickness since then.

I let them out in very light rain and that is all. Today is heavy rain and stormy! They are cooped up in the run and coop. I have a roof on the run and a side panel to keep the run somewhat dry.

They are going crazy that they can't run free.:( I don't want them to get sick again.

Do you let them free range in rain or stormy weather?

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I let mine free range even on stormy days they do have access to both coops so if they want they can go in. They love it!! It even hailed just a little while ago and they were out there pecking at the hail

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm in mn too, and it was hailing pretty good here. It finally stopped raining and they are happy to be out.

4. In California we might not get the weather y'all do, but it can storm here and get in the 20s and 30s.

I let mine out no matter what. They may come out and go straight for shelter and spend the day there, but they really want out so I let them decide.

5. darin367

darin367 Songster

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i'm in washington state... if i didn't let them out on wet, windy, stormy days, they wouldn't get out much..... i open the door no matter the weather... when the rain drops get the size of small marbles they'll head back into the coop or under a tree or bush..... i figure if they can come n go when they want they're happy....

6. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Songster

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yes I do. I don't have a run so I would feel bad leaving them in the coop. They can choose to stay in or under the coop or under trees. 99% of the time though they will stand in the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: