Do you get chicks vaccinated for Coccidosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheSpiceGirls, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Do you get chicks vaccinated for coccidosis or do you feed medicated starter for the first few weeks? Curious what people do?

The only reason I'd lean towards getting chicks vaccinated for coccidosis is to make it easier to prevent the big hens from eating the medicated starter.

Or how big of a deal is it if the big hens eat medicated starter since it's only for two weeks? Maybe you just toss eggs for those two weeks?

I'm going to get chicks as soon as my BO goes broody and I'm trying to get all my homework done ahead of time.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I usually just feed medicated feed, and have never had any problems. I have bought chicks that were vaccinated for Coccidiosis, too, but I negated the vaccine (unknowingly) by also feeding medicated feed; still, no harm was done. The amprolium in medicated chick feed won't hurt adult birds if they eat it, and as far as I know, it doesn't taint the eggs, either. My only concern would be that the chick feed wouldn't provide enough calcium for the laying hens.

3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, I know it doesn't have the calcium that adults need. The last time I did this, I was able to keep mama and babies separate for two week and did the medicated for those two weeks. Then everyone was into the same run and on grower feed with a big bowl of oyster shells for the adult layers.

And every other day the adults would get a treat that had some calcium drops in it. (Read the bottle for dosing instructions.) And that worked great. So I was planning on doing the same this time.

I'm just trying to decide about the medicated vs. non. I know it's a risk not using medicated. But my run is dry. I know damp conditions is bad for spreading Cocci.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you are undecided on vaccinating or prefer to not use medicated feed,you can use the preventative dose of amprolium in water.
    Vaccinating for coccidiosis does not guarantee your birds will never get it,as the vaccine only covers the most common strains. Medicated feed does not prevent chicks from having an overload/outbreak of coccidiosis either.

Best advice,always keep Amprolium on hand and give asap if any birds show any of the symptoms.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, like ten chicks said, keep a coccidiosis med on hand since it is very common and kills pretty quick.

Since my birds are exposed to Marek's , their immune system isn't as great as it should be and they are prone to coccidiosis. I will vaccinate from now on.

6. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Is it an issue if the adult hens who are laying eggs eat the medicated starter? Should those eggs be tossed?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Not sure. They actually give that stuff to cattle to make them grow faster.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can eat eggs from chickens getting amprollium or corid, and that is the ingredient in most medicated feeds, but check the label for sure.

9. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks all. I'm going to try going w/ the non-medicated feed. I know it's a risk. But I have just the three hens and keep their coop and run really clean. I live in a dry environment and I'm going to let a broody mama raise them. If we lose one, oh well. If we lose them all, well, maybe I'll do it different next time.

But my preference would be not to have the big hens eating medicated feed and I really hate tossing out their eggs.

So we'll see.

10. belcherbirds

belcherbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Hi everyone, I am a very green newbie and appreciate everyone sharing so much great information. This site is amazing. I've just received my new chicks born Wednesday and Thursday and I've had them since Sunday. Today is day 6 and 7 . They were fed medicated feed for the 2 or 3 days prior to coming to me however since Sunday ( past 3 days) Have been on non medicated feed. Can I vaccinate them now or is it too late? I also have 4 3 week old chicks in a separate area that were also not vaccinated. What about them? Can they be vaccinated?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by