Do you give your chicks treats ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Johnnyfly41, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Johnnyfly41

Johnnyfly41 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2016
    My chicks are 2 weeks old today. Steady diet of chick crumbles 18% protein mix. I realize, this is a complete nutrition for them.

My question is it ok, and, do you give your chicks any other foods as treats at this age, greens, squash, anything ???

Pretty sure it would be bad to displace their normal diet, but, thinking of introducing them to other things. I have been using probiotic and enzyme water treatment, but, no grit as on crumbles they are not supposed to need it. Perhaps suplementing would mean they should have some grit, I dont know.

Thank you,

John

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    One can offer "treats" to their chicks but not more than 10% of their diet.
    When offering anything beside their feed, offer grit on the side....always.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They can have a treat...I treat mine once a week....Just provide grit....Things they like are squash, cucumber...etc....Stuff they can peck at..Mine like Apples...

Cheers!

4. thegavulichs

thegavulichs Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    How old do the chicks have to be in order to give them treats?

5. MrsKris

MrsKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2017
    Caswell County, NC
    I started giving mine treats around 2 weeks old, after introducing grit a couple days before. Fine chopped boiled eggs was first, and by far still their favorite!

6. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    If raising in a brooder I start mine on yogurt within a day or two of bringing them home.

Last spring I had a broody hen raise chicks, she was giving her chicks fireworms(looks like mealworm) at 4days old. So that should tell you something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by