Do you go on lockdown early if your eggs typically hatch early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Germaine_11.20, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hi, I guess my incubator is running hot. So the eggs typically hatch out 1 day early.

I was thinking that I should go on lockdown a day early because of that.

Does anyone else here do that?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Wouldn't hurt. I think I would bump my temp down a little between hatches to get them to hatch on time.

3. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I intend to, but first I have to pych myself up. Last time I adjusted them it took all day (literally)

The temps would jump off the charts both directions-low and high.

But you are right, I do need to adjust them. Thank you!

4. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I, too, am curious about this. My temps have been 99.5-100.5 throughout the entire incubation period, and I am scheduled to lock down my seramas on Monday. However, I consistently hear that this breed hatches early, so I am wondering if I would be better off locking them down a day early.

Will stalk this thread for answers. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

5. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am going to go 1 day early and see. They are fully developed and just getting bigger so I don't think there would be any chance of it attaching to the shell at that point.

I think that it would be good to have that higher humidity the full lockdown period rather than have one day less.

I will pay attention to the size of the air cell. As long as that seems large enough that it won't drown I am going to try.

6. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    my temps are running 98.8 to 100.7. the bator is home made and i just couldnt get the numbers to stablize so i decided to leave it alone and just see what happens. i had 10 egss and 9 of them were live peeps growing inside, the 10th i was questioning. then we had a 4 hour power outage and i lost 4 of the eggs. now i have 6 left in there and even with the temps up and down like this all 6 seem to be thriving well. do you think with the temps like this, this could harm the chicks or cause a late hatch?

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The temp sounds good, even with my big sportsmen clone. I'm shocked that a 4 hour outage killed them? Ive had them go 24 hours outside in the winter an make it.

8. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    If they are moving then they should be good. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by