Do you guys think that some breed have more roo eggs then others?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bock_Bock, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thats just one question here is a better asked version, do you guys think that some breeds will have more hens hatched out then other breeds, or vice versa as some breeds will have a higher percentage rate of roos hatch.

#2 Do you guys believe that the way the egg is handles during incubation is what helps descide the final sex of the chick, or of how or what the mother was eating whne egg was produced, or any other reasons, or do you believe it is all on the xy genes that decide

also feel free to post any other questions on here about the way sex is determined if you have a theory post that too

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sex is determined by the hen.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Gender is genetic...thus determined at time of fertilization.

4. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    so it is determined by the hen then do hens of diffrent breeds like to have more females then male chicks?

5. chickenlips1954

chickenlips1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    I've heard this from several old timer chicken folks, so tried this myself and it's almost 100% accurate. The rounder an egg is the better chance it's going to produce a hen. The pointer the egg...a roo. Give it try!

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:A lot of people on here have tried that and it's usually not correct. You always have a 50% chance of getting a female, no matter what shape the egg. I don't think breed makes a difference either. It's probably possible to have an individual hen that throws more males or females, just like some human males only have daughters or sons.

ETA: Shape of the egg just has to do with the layer...I have 2 RIRs, one that lays a pointy egg and what that's completely oval...I get the same ratio of males/females out of both.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well thank you for this tip and thank you for gettign to the bottom of it any more out there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by