Do you guys wait for the entire group to hatch when it's 100+ quail?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachel, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have about 25 hatched so far out of about 110, it's pretty crowded in there already. They seem to be kind of ganging up on the ones that are trying to hatch and pecking at their toes (which I guess look like little worms). My humidity is now at 80% from all the little wet bodies in there, do you think it would be okay to take out the dry ones? It just seems like with my humidity that high, I could afford a few seconds of having the bator opened.

2. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    I dunno the answer to that, but maybe my friend does. here name is ak_button_mama. She might be able to help? Anyways, good luck!

3. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I do batches of about 60 or so, and as soon as they start hatching I fire up the brooder to make sure its nice and HOT in there (95-100) Because of this same issue!!

I have actually had quails that broke the shells of those not even pipped, and kill the baby on accident (?) by pipping the shell fromt he exterior and hitting a major vein or the yolk!

Also, do NOT use shavings if at all possible for the brooder...paper towels, regular washcloths/cleaning cloths or the shelf liner work best since they do not stick to the sticky bodies and are easily thrown away or cleaned.

sprinkling some feed and having a VERY shallow water dish (thisnk soda botle cap-sized, or tupperware/butter tub lid) full of water in there for humidity and drinking. It will evaporate quickly with the high temp, so refill it often.

As soon as they are walking steadily you can put them in the brooder. MAke sure the temp is between 95 and 100 on the floor before you move them.
    the most important part is keeping the weak ones in the hatcher, and take the strong ones away and put in the brooder. they DO kill and further weaken theose hatching and newly hatched!

I hope this helps you out!

4. rachel

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Barnwife, that's really helpful. I did think some of the older ones have gotten pretty aggressive. I'll keep an eye on them. The brooder is already fired up!

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We put 96 eggs in the hatcher last night, they were hatching this morning. Sounds like you have a smaller incubator? We haven't had any problem with them hatching en mass but they have plenty of room to move around in ours. Like Barnwife said as soon as your brooder is warmed up I would get the first hatched out to make room for the others.

Steve in NC

6. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    good!! let us know how it goes!

I haven't tried that many quail at once, but I will be soon. You know of a good (cheap) place to buy quail rails at for the 1511 turner? I had trouble turning my batches of 60 evenly...I think the rails will be MUCH better than turning 120++ every fourth hour (cause I'm obsessive about turning)

Also, forgot to mention...the feed on the floor helps keep the quail occupied with something other than the other quails and so keeps them from picking as much. They still pick without feed, or with feed in a bin/bowl etc.

Thanks!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Pull any that are mostly dry and walking to a brooder set at around the same temp as the bator. Mine usually actually prefer a brooder around 100F the first day or 2. Paper towels are useful to spread food on so they can peck at it but not necessary. Quail are not like chicken chicks. They need food and water within 12-24hrs of hatching. Without it they will start pecking each other and any hatching chicks trying to find food. Do not add any water to the bator if your humidity is over 80% and definitely do not add a dish of any sort or the newly hatched ones may kick themselves into it and drown. Quail drown very very easy.

8. rachel

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I put some bottle caps half-full of water in the brooder is this okay? I also have a quail bottom on a mason jar waterer that's completely full of gravel so they can only peck into tiny spaces between the gravel. They also have gatorade bottle lids full of 28% feed.
    I haven't added any water since before the hatch, I had it stable at 63-65%, all the hatching just drives it up into the 80's.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Repeat the newly hatched ones may kick themselves into any dish, even just a lid off something, and drown. Ask me how I know this... [​IMG] Do not put any water in with them until they are standing and walking around well. Also in the 80s is drowning point in my bator. That doesn't mean your setup is the same but I would be trying to let some water out not add more. With the humidity that high and since you already have been opening it to add food or water you'd be best off just removing the dry ones. There's no reason to put the food and water in instead of taking the chicks out unless there's something going wrong with your brooder.

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I think the OP put the food and water in the brooder - not the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by