Do you guys wash your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by supdude, Jun 27, 2008.

1. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    my big white leghorn sleeps in poo sometimes, she just wont go on the roost! well she has some nasty stains on her breast, underside, and tail feathers, mostly from bieng cramped in a cage when she was with her last owners. but im sure some of it is my fault because i dont have bedding yet in the coop. anyway i was wondering if i should try to clean her or just let leave it. it really stands out on her white feathers, anybody ever bathed a chicken lol?

2. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    warm water and antibacterial soap works for me

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    a dunk in water and a rubdown with a towel works for me.

4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I had to wash mud that was caked on my hen Goldies back from roosters mating in the rain! I used warm water and a towel. Also I let her sleep in the house that night because it was cold outside! lol! She is my oldest hen at 4 yrs so Im kind of overprotective of her.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If you use the dishwasher, you can do several at once.

(just kidding)

The most I've ever done was a quick butt-scrub for a girl who had a touch of diarrhea.

6. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Quote:lol and hang them on a cloths line to air dry

8. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I use 3 large rubbermaid bins. the first has woolite in the water which helps break down the oil on the chickens feathers. Without it, it is almost impossible to actually wet the feathers enough to really clean them. I soap them up in the first bin, the second bin is straight water to wash the soap off in, and the third one has some white vinager mixed in the get the last bit of soap off and really make them squeaky clean. Sometimes I use a hose to get the soap off. Of course, this method has to be done outdoors, but it should be warm enough now.

I use dog flea and tick shampoo on their vent areas and johnsons baby shampoo on the rest of them. They really look nice after a good bath and mine seem to look healthier overall with an occasional bath.

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I have washed my Light Sussex hen if she gets dirty. I stand her in the sink and then wash her with a sponge and warm water, afterwards i use the hair dryer to dry her off, on its coolest setting and held far away...she LOVES it and sits there waiting for more when i turn it off [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I swear that was on an episode of Ed, Edd and Eddie...omg...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by