Do you hatch your own chicks for customer meat production?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by anniemary, May 12, 2010.

1. anniemary

anniemary Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Is it feasible to hatch my own chicks instead of ordering them every season for selling meat to customers? If so, could you give me some idea of the process or equipment needed?

Thanks!!

2. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    sure you can hatch your own, a small incubator with a turner and good thermometer will cost you about 200.00. A broody hen would of course work as well.

3. anniemary

anniemary Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, I have an incubator that will house 40 eggs. So, I start with say 40 broilers (obviously there will be some loss)...and then if my customer demand increases, I just add another incubator or two and keep them running hatch after hatch?

4. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Exactly!! Throw some in there and see what happens......... have you hatched before?

5. anniemary

anniemary Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    Yes, I hatched about ten from our incubator when we had trouble with our babies getting killed in the coop. (I didn't have an opportunity to separate them). I have BO but want to switch to Freedom Rangers and start a Pastured-poultry business.

I feel really lost when it comes to figuring out how many I could process, how many I would need to keep to produce eggs for future prospects, etc.

Could anyone share their experience with producing their own chicks for their broiler business?...maybe i'm on the wrong board.

6. Julie08

Julie08 Songster

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Try the meat bird section

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by