Do you have a compost pile? Please post pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SunnyChic, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I will be starting construction of my coop and run this month, and I was wondering where to locate my compost pile. I would like to know how everyone cleans their coop, if they use a compost pile, and if so, where they put it. Thanks!

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Here's my pile.. It's nothing special.. In fact, really need to rebuild it and add a rain guard to the top to keep it from getting so wet and killing the process... It's more of a cold composting bin than a hot one.. At least for now.

Once we get the chickens out to the coop (being built) and start composting it, the high nitrogen will keep the pile hot even with rain, I'd think.

[​IMG]

It's located on the right side of my yard, pretty well smack dab between the main garden plot and the chicken coop at the other end. It's.... Oh... Maybe 35' from the coop and 25' from the garden? I've also got 2 (2 more being built) 4' by 10' raised beds right by it.

Really, where to locate the compost pile depends on your yard layout. It could very well be behind the coop... Behind the shed... Off behind some trees.. Where ever.. Just breaks down to where is the most convenient for you.

3. SunnyChic

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks for the great pic, Dark wolf!

4. lunatic

lunatic Out Of The Brooder

I live in Oregon, where it rains a lot, and it actually helps us to break the compost down faster if we keep it wet. We actually have to water it in the summer months! We have an open one too and are looking forward to being able to add poop shavings from the coop!

5. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

No pics yet, but I can tell you I used 7 (free) wooden pallets.........to make 3 bins in a row........
    kind of like this....|_|_|_|......open in front and on top. They are 'downwind' of the house, and work like a charm!

6. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    LOL... Never dreamed of a compost pile picture getting that response... Welcome! [​IMG]

If I can get my hands on some pallets, I'd be doing what gabby3535 explained. But the wire and bars weren't that much $. Just need more space now.

7. SunnyChic

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:That's a great idea; we have a pallet building company here in town. I think I'll look into doing this.

8. ChickieNikki

ChickieNikki Chillin' With My Peeps

We made one box out of 4 pallets. There's no lid, and it's got hardware cloth stapled around the outside. The "door" pallet is held on by hook and eyes, which flip open to either hinge the door or remove it altogether. It's really easy to build. It's located on the side of our detached garage, which is probably 60 feet from the coop. I will use deep litter, and clean it completely twice a year, so I'll just load up the garden cart, wheel it up to the bin, and dump it!

9. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Currently we are using a food grade 55 gallon drum. I forgot to drill holes in it for venting and so it is really stinky when you open it. We slacked over the fall and winter so It's only about 1/3rd full.

Once are rain stops (its been going on now for about 2 days. I'm going to go out there and drill some holes in it. roll it around to get it mixed a bit. I think I will use it alot more now that hens will be on their way.....

10. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    We have a pallet-special, too. I love it! [​IMG]

*But* we have to add on two more sections and we've just discovered rats are nesting at the bottom of the pile, and now we are debating whether to bother with lining it and covering it to keep the pests out, or just trapping rats...?

It will be situated within 10-20 feet of the coop when the coop is completed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by