Do you have a fave hen that sits in your lap and kinda purrs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gwydiana, Oct 24, 2013.

1. gwydiana

gwydiana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    My RIR and I are still just establishing our new friendship. I've only had her for about 6 weeks but lately she will let me pick her up and sit her in my lap and pet her. She kinda of purrs and moves her beak as if she's smacking her lips. It's so very cute!

I've never owned chickens before and this is truly an amazing experience for me!

2. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    I'm new to chickens also (well, newer than a lot of the people I look up to for advice on BYC). I only just got got into chickens a year ago in September, but I feel like I've learned so much since then.

I like to just sit with my chickens and watch them in the mornings. I set up a spare cinder block against the west wall of the run and after I feed them I just sit and enjoy my chickens. Some will come right up to me and snuggle up against my legs--my buff rocks and light brahmas are particularly friendly--and some take up to twenty minutes to warm up to me. All in all I usually spend about an hour and a half with them in the mornings. Chicken keeping is so much more rewarding to me than just collecting eggs, if that makes sense. It's such a cool experience, I just want to babble about it to everyone! My family has [lovingly] started referring to me as the 'crazy chicken girl'. Lol!

How many chickens do you have? Sorry this comment got long. :p

3. gwydiana

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    I am also Crazy Chicken Lady now! I have 5 girls and have only had them for about 6 weeks now. I'm hooked!!!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
  5. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah mine do, some 'talk' some do the lip (beak) smacking thing. The talking is the funniest. Some of the noises.. honestly I'd swear they were trying to communicate. I have managed to perfect the noises myself, sounds kinda sad really hahahahaha. Huuuurrrr chchchchchc chrrrrrrheeewwwwww chrrrrrrr

6. babyfoot

babyfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe I'm ready for the funny farm, I dunno

7. gwydiana

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    this is all very new to me. I went out this morning and she greeted me and wanted to sit in my lap and get petted. So very cute!

8. SonSet Farm

SonSet Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    hangin' in the coop
    Count me it to the crazy chicken lady club! I absolutely love my backyard flock! I also sit for hours and watch my girls...with my camera lol. Nothing is cuter than when they jump in your lap and talk to you [​IMG]. My favorite? My lil' beachball blue cochin Bella. Well, and Phoebe my Jubilee. AAAnd....haha...

9. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    It's definitely hard to choose a favorite chicken, lol (that's why I don't even bother)!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. gwydiana

Sep 14, 2013
    Escondido (San Diego) CA
    Today, my RIR - Lucy - jumped into my lap today and laid on her back so that I could scratch her tummy! She did that 4 or 5 times today! I was shocked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by