1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have a favorite breed of dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by loveacatahoula, Nov 12, 2011.

1. loveacatahoula

loveacatahoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Hephzibah, GA
    We presently have 9 dogs...yes 9....4 are chihuahuas, 1 lab, a great dane mix, a jack russel mix, a german shepard mix and a catahoula. I have to say that I LOVE our catahoula...he is protective of everything in the house and is a great lover. He is extremely loyal to my daughter! He will follower her anywhere and I can feel confident that NOONE would ever be able to harm her if he was around. So show me your favorite dog/breed!
    [​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really love Great danes. Some day I would like to have one of my own. Right now we have an australian cattle dog. He is a great dog, but I'm not sure I'd get one again. Mostly, I find dogs that choose me and at that point, breed doesn't really matter! Normally I don't like pitbull looking dogs, but there is one at the shelter that pulls on my heart strings every time!

3. Kathylovesherchickens

Kathylovesherchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2011
    White Hall MD
    My white German Shepherd, Lady is by far the best dog I have ever owned. Smart as a whip! She will 'stalk', 'stay', 'get em' where she runs as fast as she can to get what I send her after, 'release' for when she brings it to me, 'sit', 'stay', 'lay down', 'heel', 'paw', 'prey', and many more! She has brought back more Varmin, & predators than I can tell you about, I assume after she's killed them. She helps me heard my mini horses back in when I let them out. She is the best guard dog, everyone new that comes to my house always tells me how 'scary' she is. She's bigger & white in color, with honey brown eyes and a black nose. She can always sense a bad person, even if she's inside. She's the most gentle dog I have ever known with any 'good' animal. Cats, other dogs, chicks, hamsters, rabbits. I'd trust her with anything. I love her, as much as I can love a dog! She has been through so much! She was hit by a car when she was about 7 months old, when I was on vacation and had someone watching her. It cost $4,000 to give her a plastic and metal hip, but she and I had that kind of connection, and I couldn't put her down.... She's kind of a bionic dog. I wouldn't trade her for anything.

4. magicsaddlebred

magicsaddlebred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    I live with my grandmother while I am going to college and she has 7 dogs!
    1 min pin
    1 golden retriever=]
    1 chinese crested
    1 yorkie
    1 mutt- half chihuahua, quarter black lab and quarter weenie dog...and yes she is funny looking...I call her Yoda
    2 terrier of sorts

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Great Danes are my absolute fave, but I love big dogs in general--with rotties being a close second. Had a huge rottie/mastiff/st bernard mix that was just the sweetest thing!

6. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Mutts. Some of my best friends are mutts. We have 6 dogs. All came from the shelter. 5 of them are mutts and one is a pure breed collie puppy that also came from the shelter.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a border collie/australian sheperd/mix and she is my buddy. One of the best dogs I have ever owned. Smart too!

Here is a couple pictures of her:
    [​IMG]

Doing her job of bringing in firewood (dog carting)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, we call them "the boys"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. zooarch

zooarch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I would have to go with pit bulls. I just can't help loving the bully personality. Then I would also like standard poodles and greyhounds. I worked at a vet office as a kid/teenager/college student and I have to admit that I quickly figured out what breeds I liked for myself, and what breeds I might like but never want to own. There is a big difference. I know that I might like any dog, but I gravitate towards these three breeds.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm going with mutts as well. All the best dogs I've had have been mutts. The current two are a german shepherd/beagle/some other stuff, and a brown dog. They are great dogs, loyal and willing and they both love to mush!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by