Do you have a Fiest?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BunnyMomma, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi, someone dropped a black and tan male fiest off on my farm last night. He looks as if someone hit him on the back with a 2x4. He is OK but he has a bruised area and a dent on his hindquarter. I don't know a lot about the breed. Are they good around chickens? He seems OK with the other dogs, and is very sweet. I might keep him if he is good around my flock. Does anyone else have a feist as a farm companion?
    Bunny

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Fiests are terrier hunting mixes. I wouldn't trust them at all around small critters as they should have a huge prey drive.

3. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    Every dog is different...I would just give him a chance to heal a bit, and then take him out to your chickens, on leash of course, and see how he behaves.

We had rat terriers and they were good with our other pets (chickens included) but would chase and hunt other animals. They seemed to know the difference between 'family members' and wild animals.

Hope he works out! He would obviously be getting a much better home than he had before!

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    We had rat terriers and they were good with our other pets (chickens included) but would chase and hunt other animals. They seemed to know the difference between 'family members' and wild animals.

I agree. I could be wrong but I think a fiest is a hunting version of a rat terrier. This little guy could just be a badly treated pet. Or a pet that ran into some trouble. You might want to post him on the lost and found.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by