1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have a great egg laying bantam?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickAficianado, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ChickAficianado

ChickAficianado Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    I've read that Silkies aren't great egg layers. Granted, Silkie eggs are much smaller eggs. However, my Silkie is a great egg layer! Lately, she has been putting my three large hens to shame. While the big hens have been hit and miss on egg laying lately, she has been laying daily. Does anyone else have a great egg laying bantam?

2. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

same my silkies a great layer![​IMG]

3. TripleCreek

TripleCreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2012
    Morris County, NJ
    Our Silkies continue laying after all the big chickens have stopped for the season! They also LOVE to brood eggs, they work better than any incubator we have tried!

4. ChickAficianado

ChickAficianado Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Texas
    What a beautiful Silkie!

Ugh, although my Silkie is a great egg layer, she is a terrible incubator. She gets broody and she tries, but she can't seem to hatch. Although, my big hens have no interest whatsoever, so I appreciate her effort.

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Huh, I didn't know silkies could be such good egg layers. :)

6. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    What is the best laying breed of bantam besides silkies? :)

7. I really like my d'Anver hen. She started laying really early, especially for a bantam, at about 20 weeks. She lays 5 eggs a week, and just stopped laying this week, mostly because everyone's been picking on her, so she's been stressed. I can't wait to breed her to my little roo this spring. :)

My d'Uccles are also pretty good, but they take awhile to start laying, and don't have a very long laying season, but when they lay, they lay A LOT. And my almost 4 year old still lays 4 eggs a week through most of the summer. :) And I've never had a single one go broody, which is good because I've got plenty of big girls that are more than willing to be broody. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by