Do you have a leghorn?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mxschwartz, Jan 1, 2010.

1. mxschwartz

mxschwartz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2009
    I would love a classic white leghorn in my flock.

But, I read now and again that they are flighty, edgy, etc.

Anyone have a leghorn as part of a mixed flock and can either tell me they love this chicken or that I should stay away from the breed?

Thanks!

Michael

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We don't mind their ways.I don't think they are more flighty than some of the dual breeds.I may be the wrong person to ask though.We have leghorns in white,brown,buff,exechequer,black and mille fleur so we like our leghorns pretty well here. [​IMG]
    Ours are out with all kinds of breeds from mixed,EE's numerous brown laying breeds and other Med. white egg layers as well-everyone gets along fine.They are super layers but the white does lay the biggest of them all...some of the colors don't lay huge eggs but still lay as often.

3. karabbitry

karabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    I have Exhibition LF whites and bantam light browns, all SC. My bantams tend to be more similar in personality to most of my other bantams. However the LF are like all the other Mediterrean breeds and do tend to be more flighty than birds in like the American or English class. I really like mine, but they need worked with lots more prior to shows so they are not nuts in the show cages. That is my take on them

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have a mixed flock, and have one leghorn "Lucillle" I know I get an egg almost each day from her because that is the white egg. As far as being flighty, she is the first to arrive when treats are given out. She will sit on the bench next to whoever has lunch outside, and will stand still on perch and let you pet her, so she must not have got the flighty gene, but definately got the egglayer gene. IF I knew all leghorns would be like her I would have a flock of them. If I were you I would at least try one or two, and worst case you have a flighty bird that is a egg laying machine, best case you get a friendly bird and lots of eggs. I think she probably was picked out as the only white bird by everyone here, and just decided she liked the extra attention(and treats).

5. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I miss my White Leghorn hen. She was soooo sweet! She wasnt very flighty at all. I love leghorns and i love the look of them too [​IMG]

6. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I have 3 Buff Orp / White leghorn mixes. They have the buff coloring, and the larger comb, and are not as round as a Orp. I think they are adorable, are curious and not shy. They like to eyeball me at bedtime, will jump up to a roost to be my eye height and stare at me, not sure why, but, they do.

I am told they should be great egg layers, still waiting on that one.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    We have white leghorns and they are not at all "flighty"....I like that they are trim and efficient birds and lay so so many eggs. I'm in the process of doubling my population of them because they are just so sweet quiet and give me soo soo many eggs..

Hope this helps you!

Happy New Year.....!

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    My two leghorns came from a breeder - I will never buy them again
    They broke two windows in my coop, and the combs are so big on them that the others peck themto where they bleed
    They are just too lfighty, though I do get an egg a day faithfully from them

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Hey Holly, I didn't know you had all those colors now! [​IMG]

I have LF and bantam leghorns -- bantam in white and buff, LF in Exchequer and mille fleur. The only problem I've had with them is that my bantam white cock is VERY game, so he must be caged separately from the other roos.

You can see how flighty my leghorns AREN'T by looking at the pics here:

http://eggheadhill.smugmug.com/Chickens/Leghorn/10024948_Nx3Nx/1

I'm very happy to have leghorns, and although I don't have big plans to breed them I hope to keep a few around.

10. STAY AWAY FROM LEGHORNS!!
    I have one white one who is not very nice.

GO WITH CALIFORNIA WHITES!!!
    They are the BEST!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by