1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have a rooster coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hooterville, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an overabundance of roosters that I do want to keep. I'd like to rotate them with the ladies. Can I put them together in a single coop with run? They have been free-ranging together with the ladies and the girls will still be free-ranging which means the boys will be able to see them through their fence. Are they going to go nuts and fight each other? [​IMG]

TIA~~
    Becky

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have a pen/coop that I put most of the roos in, when there is no competion for ladies they usually get along just fine. There is the occasional chest bump, but nothing too severe, and the ladies dont have to be running for cover all the time.

3. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

So it doesn't matter if they can see the girls but can't get to them? I was afraid if they could still see them they would try to fight each other.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you for asking this question, I am curious too.

5. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    my friend has a roo coop and they get along just fine

6. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    after breeding season I usually put the roosters into "bachelor" pens. One of the things I find helps is to keep the number down around 10 roos per pen. Also if you can keep the hens away from them (it can work with them being nearby but works better with distance). something that might help since your flock is freerange is to build a coop where the run has at least 2 foot of plywood lining the bottom of the run's sides. this blocks the view and also prevents injuries, should they try to wirefight any roos who are wit the hens.

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    THE FREEZER [​IMG]

8. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by