Do you have a Rubbermaid Brooder? PICS wanted

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckU2, May 27, 2010.

1. CluckU2

CluckU2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    It seems to me that making a Rubbermaid tub into a brooder for 3-4 chicks would be best with my two cats, and fairly easy to do. I am hoping that some of you out there who have done this can share some pics and tips? Pics would really help! Thanks!

BTW, Some of my ideas include hardware cloth, chicken wire, zip ties, drill, hole saw, box cutter, hinges, using the lid, not using the lid, and it seems like there's lots of ways to do this so your pics will help. Thanks!

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't have pics, but this is what I use for our 3-4 chicks. I got my container from walmart, it was one of the clear plastic ones that is longer, but still tall (not the kind that goes under the bed). We just clamp the heat lamp to it and it's the perfect distance for warmth. We keep in on the dining room table [​IMG] and we also have cats-we cover it with bird netting and a piece of hardware cloth. The cats jump up for a look but they can't get thru the top. My cats are old, though. Good luck to you - you will be fine!!

3. SB Austex

SB Austex Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Austin
    Simple works fine: This is a 45 gallon tub. The two chicks in this photo are about 4 - 1/2 weeks old (Dominiques).

* The top is a decent gauge 1x1 wire which I clipped at the corners and bent into basic shape. It is stiff enough that if you squeeze the edges a bit it clamps on. I used the wire at first 'just in case' the dogs got into the bathroom where they're kept. Now it keeps them from flying out.
    * There is a large piece of cardboard in bottom covered with pine shavings.
    * The feeder and waterer are raised off the shavings on scraps of 2x4's -- which I did as soon as they were big enough to reach easily.
    * There are two upside down clay flower pots for roosts. They started flying to the top of the feeder and waterer a few weeks ago and that gets poop in the food/water. So I taped an upsidedown plastic cup on the top to make it taller and gave them initially a piece of 4x4 as a roost, now the pots which are heavy and stable.

ETA: I don't need the heat lamp anymore, but it was clamped on to something outside the wire, but the wire is also heavy enough I wasn't worried about the light falling in by accident.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. yakmama

yakmama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    The South
    You can see the picture of mine in my avatar. For the cover, I just used some old cube sides I had laying around (you know- those wire cubes for storing stuff in). They work great. I haven't had to cut or zip tie anything. I just hung my lamp from the ceiling with a ceiling anchor and hook.

5. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:My cat or kittens have no interest in our chickens. Mama cat has been known to "cat nap" with my runner duck though...

I used the rubbermaid tubs and was worried about the heat lamp falling in so I hung it from the basement ceiling. I also put the waters on 2x6 wood blocks because they were filled with pine shavings all the time.

6. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Here is a picture of mine. I used a clear container. The lid has the hardware cloth ziptied into the top. It works well. I still use it for five 4-week old chicks. It was easy to move around, and carry. I use it to bring my little ones out to spend the day in the pen. Actually the photo is of the second one I made. It was for when the chicks were older. I will keep them for the next bunches in a few years!

[​IMG]

Deb

7. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    looks like your chicks have their own security system there...lol!

8. CluckU2

CluckU2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    These are all great ideas, but can anyone tell me how long I can keep 3-4 chicks in a Rubbermaid bin? I want to be able to keep them in this brooder until they go into the coop, but do I need a kind of intermediate brooder?

9. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    about 4-6 weeks I'd say...once they are full feathered they can go to the coop. I don't know what area you are in, but here in NC it warmed up real quick and I could have moved mine outside earlier because we were still 75-78* at night.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    click on my double decker brooder link to see mine. I didn't need a lid at the time though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by