Do you have any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Nov 20, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Some days it's hard to get the girls to go outside so I have to chuck something out there. Things I've tried are oats, corn, pellet feed, sun flowers.

Any other suggestions? Need it in large amounts and cheap.

Also the girls don't seem to really like beans.

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I would not worry about it and let them choose when to be outside. Other than that regular scratch should work just fine.

3. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Mine are waiting on the other side of the pop door for me to open it and out they come!! They hear me walking down the hill to their run and they are ready to go! Sometimes it's hard to get them back IN [​IMG]

4. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Have you tried oatmeal, raisins, grapes, tomatoes, cooked whole wheat spaghetti, brown rice, quinoa, yogurt, grated mozzarella cheese, cooked mixed veggies? Most are fairly cheap...I make a plate for mine the night before of a mixture of all those things & cover it in fridge that way at 6:30 am when I am half asleep & go out to open pop door they have a nice breakfast [​IMG] I will say mealworms are their fave tho! [​IMG]

5. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:What's the yard itself like? Do you have tasty forage for them?

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I've tried most of that, my run doens't have a door so most "messy" treats are given in the coop. I'd like to have a few more options that I can just toss through the fence at them.

Hopefully next spring I can make a chainlink run with a door on it, will be much easier since I plan to put a waterer and feeder outside for them.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:What's the yard itself like? Do you have tasty forage for them?

They have a small run to forage in though, they've destroyed pretty much everything in it. I only have seven birds (2 of them banties). Next spring I am going to plant some grapes, blue berries and herbs for them.

8. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I think you might want to make a door even if it isn't spring yet. My DH made mine and they work very well.
    [​IMG]
    This door is made from 2x4s with a piece of waferboard or deck sheeting on the lower section. I have since painted it white to give it more durability. It was cheap to do and is very strong. The triangle pieces are just 2x4 that I cut on a compound miter saw at 45 degree angles.
    I still think letting the chickens choose when to be outside is better for them.
    Is there any particular reason you want to force them outside?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Well when I have to clean the coop I can't have them inside they try to escape into my unfenced yard. Also it wan't kill them to spend some time outside. I would put a door in if I could, but I don't have the funds right now and since it's colder free material is hard to come by.

10. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I understand the issue now. We did an angled door on the large coop for just that reason. Pic is of the large coop and shows the door DH made for my security lol.
    [​IMG]
    This one shows the new pop door that raises so I can close them out easily.
    [​IMG]

Mine still try to follow me out of the run every chance they get. Silly chickens.

HMMM for now maybe you can rig a pop door like the one I have so you can toss some scratch in the run and hurry to lower the door. Mine is on a rope, through screw eyes and out the diagonal door so I can get to it without going in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by