do you have chicks inside the house?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunket77, May 11, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    The reason I ask is b/c we have had chicks in the house since early March. We have been hatching and as they get big enough they get moved outside. They are in a play-pen... we don't have place we can put them other than the house since we don't have any outdoor place accept our coop and there is not enough room for their brooder in there. Anyway, we have not had any problem with having them in the house accept the dust they put off can get annoying but we clean the brooder(playpen) often and vacuum and dust. No one has gotten sick from it. We all suffered from allergies during cedar and oak season and all got better.... here is the deal...

My brother-in-law has decided my nephew and niece can not come stay at our house b/c the chicks are indoors. We have 4 wk old bantams in the brooder plus we have eggs in the bator due tomorrow so it won't be stopping anytime soon. He even brought up avian flu as one of the reasons ...something he looked up online since we asked him what was his reasoning. For starters all my birds are very healthy, secondly the chicks came from my outdoor flock which has been p/t tested as well. Thirdly well... no one else is sick, if it was causing a problem I would think my kids would still be sick from the allergy issues when spring started.
    This is the same person who spouts random chicken knowledge that he thinks he knows like "if you have a rooster the hens will be protective of the eggs" and "one of these days we will crack open an egg with a developing chick" (we collect eggs everyday)

I was wondering other chickens peoples perspective.... am I wrong and should be worried? [​IMG] or is this another one of those "things" we have to deal with b/c we have chickens? like the fear of fresh eggs,[​IMG] or chickens are "dirty" [​IMG] ...IMO they are as dirty as any other birds people keep in their homes. They are farm animals and farms aren't generally "clean" we have really had to get used to the lifestyle though like going to rodeo arenas and big barns for shows, everything is dusty! not to mention living on a dirt road, it's just something we have come accustomed to. Mind you these are not the kind of people that keep a spotless house so I am just feeling a little "judged" at the moment.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    I have them in my bathroom. Turkeys and chicks. They are all a month old but will be in there another month.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I had mine in my bedroom for weeks and they never caused a problem at all!! He kinda sounds like one of those know it all people that believes everything he hears or reads whether it's true or not!! [​IMG]

Missi

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Mine are in the spare bedroom with the ferret. With a baby-gate and two cages inbetween. They will go to OK when old enough to survive outside.

5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had chicks in my house constantly since November. I don't even bother to pack up the bators and brooders anymore, because the miniute I do.... Something will hatch or someone will give me something fuzzy and chirping. [​IMG]

6. Roo_in_the_roost

Roo_in_the_roost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Thornton
    Mine are in the front room. Like you mentioned the dust can get annoying. But, other then that (and the occasional extra foul dropping) we haven't had any problems. In an honest comparison the six chicks still inside are not half as filthy as one parrot my aunt had. Not to mention what it used to say:eek:

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I've had chicks in the house since March, have 2 boxes of them now, and lots more on the way. They won't make you sick, lol, your BIL is just loony.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I just had DUCKS in my bedroom for 3 weeks...
    Ducklings are PIGLETS.. [​IMG]
    We all survived...

Your BIL sounds like an ignorant jerk... just my opinion though.. [​IMG]

9. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I have 5 runners in my bathroom

10. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    All my chicks are in a downstairs bedroom. I just moved 12 eight weekers out to the coop, cuz I just got it finished. I have 10 four weekers in the bedroom still and I have 12 chicks coming in tomorrow. I just cleaned the brooder up from the batch I moved out and I'll start all over tomorrow. Yes, the dust and smell can get overpowering at times, but you just need to clean it up and it sounds like you are on top of it...sounds like your bil is just looking for an excuse so the kids won't be able to come over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by