Do you have favorite coop plans?

CoopsNPoops

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Ellsinore, MO
As soon as spring rain slows, we are building a new coop. I do have 15 chickens, possibly keeping 2 from our incubation hatch. Does anyone have any specific favorite and or easy coop plans? It doesnt have to be the typical square footage as required for chickens, as they are free run and only in coop to roost and lay. So the nesting box and roost area is priority, not square footage. Walk in is best. We were just going to buy a prefab shed and convert it into a coop, but thats alot of wasted space really and im sure we can build one cheaper than buying a shed or an outbuilding.

Ok, so the hoop coops isn't really best for us i dont think, however they do seem like a much cheaper option. Tarps would never last a season with our stormy weather, and with the wind we get, i think we need something a little more structurally sound and more weather/water proof. Tin is a great alternative to the tarps, but still would be no match for our southeast missouri storms im affraid.

Ok, so the hoop coops isn't really best for us i dont think, however they do seem like a much cheaper option. Tarps would never last a season with our stormy weather, and with the wind we get, i think we need something a little more structurally sound and more weather/water proof. Tin is a great alternative to the tarps, but still would be no match for our southeast missouri storms im affraid.
they hold up better than you would think. i'm in michigan near the lakeshore so we get terrible weather and barreling winds regularly. you can also substitute a tarp for corrugated roofing sheets

Be sure to account for the skyrocketing price of lumber, in the 'I could probably build cheaper than do a shed conversion'...In our area, 2x4's are close to $8 a piece :eek:
Yea. That is a major concern. However, the prefab shed prices have also taken into account their lumber prices to build theirs as well. So either way, the cost of build will be higher. Theres kind of no way around it unfortunately. Its a must have either way. We have alot of local sawmills around and a few of them family or friends own, so we have a little advantage opposed to lumber prices at hardware stores.

Yea. That is a major concern. However, the prefab shed prices have also taken into account their lumber prices to build theirs as well. So either way, the cost of build will be higher. Theres kind of no way around it unfortunately. Its a must have either way. We have alot of local sawmills around and a few of them family or friends own, so we have a little advantage opposed to lumber prices at hardware stores.
We also have a wealthy and generous landlord with various pliles of lumber stored here and there, so rather than build cost stressing me out, the actual plans are the delima. Im pretty crafty and powerool savvy, but im also very precise and particular. Although i can do it without plans and step by step instructions, my patience cannot. (Especially with my husbands assistance 🤣) Im more of a "flow with an instructional plan" rather than a "go with the flow" type person. If that makes since, lol. Most of the coop plans i have found on google and pinterest are more small prefab type coop/run plans. Maybe id have better luck researching more of shed plans rather than chicken coop plans maybe.

Back
Top Bottom