Do you have hens in cages?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewChcikenmommy!, Nov 13, 2011.

1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I have 6 hens.
    One hen has this craziness going on with her feet, has been since the 1st week I had her.

I am certain it isn't contagious as non of my other birds have what she does.
    I am certain it isn't mites or parasites.

It gets better with wraps but instantly comes back when the boots are off.
    I am wanting to cage her off the ground permanently to see if it will help her issue as she seems to be in a great deal of pain.

Do you with smaller chickens cage them indoors? if so can you reply with a photo so I can get an idea of what she will need. She is tiny for her age compared to the others but I don't want to limit her room since she is so used to free ranging.

Thank you for your help!

2. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    anyone have any better suggestions maybe?

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

NewChcikenmommy! :

anyone have any better suggestions maybe?

I'm guessing no one is answering because they are clueless as to what you have going on with your hen's feet. Are you talking about bumbleboot? Does she have an infection? Her foot could be hot to the touch and have a spot that needs to be lanced and squeezed out?? In that case, I would not put her on a floor that has wire. I'm sort of confused as to what you are asking. I think after her treatment, she needs to be in a nice thick bedding... like pine shavings. Do you have a picture of this hen and more information about her feet? Once people know what you're talking about, I'm sure they will respond! [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Oh, and I've seen coops that go inside a house. I don't think I'd do it, but I'm sure if you use the google bar at the top of BYC, you can find something in here. You could keep her inside while you treat her and then put her back outside after it's healed up. Have you been giving any antibiotics? Someone was talking about a neotricide foot soak for bumblefoot-- I'd google that too, so you can get started. I'd do a search on CraigsList for a large wire crate that has a pan on the bottom. Tape cardboard around the bottom so you can fill it with pine shavings while she is being treated.

5. NewChcikenmommy!

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I have asked questions and posted pics and no one seems to know what it is exactly. It is not bumblefoot is the consensus lol

I will go back to day 1 if it will help. I have no problem doing that [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I got her a day old. She's the one in the middle. I kept them inside with a lamp with pine shavings in a small dog crate.
    [​IMG]

After the first week of having her I noticed her legs literally flaking scales and the others(chicks) were not showing any signs of this. So basically she went from the natural yellow legs to a pale grey then they started to split open on the bottoms something that resembles the navel end of an orange and a red rash started up her heal straight up the back of her legs and she has a terrible limp.

**In this picture, her legs are the ones to the back left of the photo.
    [​IMG]

**this is all she does. She will eat and will drink but when out in the yard she gets tired of following the flock and just lays down.
    [​IMG]

**We soaked...
    [​IMG]

**We wraped & she went running all over the place like a wild race horse! LOL
    [​IMG]

**Here is the infection. The ONLY thing I can come up with is since she lost her scales her skin may permanently be exposed and anything that she comes into contact with is simply irritating her skin.
    [​IMG]

I am thinking of getting a cage such as a large rabbit cage and use sand or something soft she can still walk around in. She is just in so much pain I don't know what else to do. I plan to keep her in my patio where she can get sunlight and proper ventilation as well.

6. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    Has she ever had any kind of injury on the bottom of her feet before?
    Are the black marks raised at all? Once the scabe has come off?
    Is the hen showing signs of pain/discomfort when you touch the areas?
    Have you given her any antibiotics or ointment on her foot?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  7. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
  8. Hawkeye95

Hunt for a rabbit hutch on Craigslist, and then maybe you could build her a little run off of it. I'd probably buy the "play sand" from walmart because it's really clean and fine and soft. Don't buy anything too coarse. Poor baby, I feel terrible for her! Did you already do penicillan? It looks like it could be viral, too. But I really have no idea! But I sure hope you figure out a good solution for keeping her feet happy in a new coop of some kind. I can hear your frustration, I just think you aren't getting much help because everyone is just as baffled as you are! But you're right, it does not look like bumblefoot. Oh, and search for "crates" and kennels on CraigsList as well as hutches, you never know what you might come up with that will be perfect for what you're thinking of doing!

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Until you get the plug(s) out of there the bumblefoot will stay and it will ultimately kill her. Bumblefoot is a staph infection and once is goes systemic it is all over for her. Search "bumblefoot surgery" or "Bumblefoot Treatment" on here and see how to cut the plugs out once you find them.

I have kept birds in XL dog crates with no problems whatsoever. I had a crossbeak silkie that lived in hers and loved it until she passed away. You can make a small run for her but that bumblefoot needs to be fixed and it is fixable.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree.. You should call a vet. This looks like it is really bad. You need to do something, or put her down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by