DO YOU have Lots of experience with DIY incubators ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PaulScott, Dec 25, 2012.

1. PaulScott

PaulScott Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    ID like to talk with someone who has lots of experience with DIY incubators , and incubators in general
    in some sort 1 on 1 settings , Ive to many question and would get to many responses to post it all back in forth on forums ... if anyone is willing to help me out please let me know

2. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I think it's better if you ask questions here. Each of us know something. None of us know everything. I have built my DIY incubators with good hatch rate. I will answer any question that I can. Others will also learn from the answers here too.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    X2

I have built 5 incubators so far, and I'm still learning. I just rewired a sewing machine and sewing machine foot pedal today and as simple as it was to do that, I learned a lot just from this experience. If you have any questions I would be happy to help, and I know that there are more than 1 electricians on BYC that could give you some help.

4. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    the wiring and building and such in pretty good at Ive finished the build on this one for the most part my questions mainly had to do with Air flow / air holes and best methods of getting the humidity on point , i seam to have for the most part gotten it figured out

I drilled a hole behind each of the 2 fans , and 4 holed around the middle and 4 around the top
    and plug ed them with the appropriate size dowel rods for a nice tight fit . it seams i can adjust the humity and temp by taking out or putting in a dowel rod

5. PaulScott

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    I guess mostly i was woundering if the fans was ment to just move the air around inside the incubator or to cycle air in from the outside

6. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    The air hole you drill will depend on how many eggs you will incubate at a time and how big your incubator will be. It's hard to get all the air holes and keep the humidity up at the same time, so it's kind of trade off. The fan's job is to keep the temperature even inside your incubator. People drill a hole next to the fan to draw some fresh air.

7. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah, if you have a 100 egg incubator, use a 1 1/2" hole, every 200 eggs you add, add another 1 1/2" hole.

8. Peters chicks

Peters chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    i just bought a hamilton beach true air humidifier. it has a fan and it has a LCD display and you can set it to the desired humidify. I bought this at the thrift store for $10. I am hoping this is a perfect humidity fix. Has anyone used this?

9. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    That sounds pretty cool. How big is it? Would it fit in a GQF cabinet incubator?

10. Peters chicks

Peters chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes it would fit in your GQF cabinet incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by