Do you have to AI silkies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Birdgirl, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I was told that some silkies have to be Artificailly Inseminated...where can I find ones that don't need to be?

2. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    No, only if you don't want the roo to mate them. They sometimes pull head feathers when they mate and when you show them, you don't want a silkie with missing head feathers! [​IMG] That's all...I have heard sometime their fluffiness gets in the way, but my silkie roos never have a problem. [​IMG]

3. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Mine either....he's good lookin:cool:

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Trust me...they don't. Unless, like the other's said, you worry about their feathers. Usually they don't have a problem "getting in there" because the hens will lift their tails if they are ready. But yeah, if you needed to AI silkies, there would be a lot fewer of them in the world.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:The dont have to be. AI is usually used to "pedigree" breed, so that you can keep records of the parents; or when you dont want to trim your birds. All of my birds are breeding naturally, except when I am working on a breeding project.

6. Birdgirl

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Well mabye my Grandpa who has had silkies is just wrong? HE told me he has gotten some from breeders that you have to AI. he tried and the eggs were infertile every time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    No one said he was "wrong", we were just letting you know that they don't HAVE to be artificially inseminated...but it is an option. It's whatever you want to do with your chickens.[​IMG]

8. Birdgirl

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, he said that if you buy them and they have been AI'd they wont let a rooster touch them. all his hens were scared of the rooster because they had been AI'd for fertile eggs. SO okay I just miss understood him, thanks for youe input everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by