1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have to collect your state's sales tax on yard sales?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Jul 21, 2011.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    My son told me yesterday that where he lives (AL) there's talk of making people having yard sales collect taxes. I'm sure governments, city, state, and federal, lie awake at night because underground bartering and personal sales escape tax collection. IMO, tax has already been paid on new items once and people are going to resist. An underground economy will flourish if the economy gets really bad. I don't see how over 400,000 people sign up for unemployment every WEEK and things are improving.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Illinois already have tax on for us to buy things online like Ebay. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They are talking about taxing state's sales taxes on yard or garage sales or something similar to that nature, estate garage sale tax. I just don't see how much more people will do it.

Not sure when it started but if they do pass, there will be less people putting up sales and more will go underground or FREE or trade items.

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    The tax guys go around the flea markets sometimes. But I have no idea how yard sale tax collection could be enforced. Remember how you used to have to look for yard sales? Now they're on every corner, as well as permanent yard sales and little flea markets.

Maybe they'll hire all the unemployed folks to police yard sales [​IMG]

4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Well IL is a Blue state. That being said you can count on many new taxes.

5. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Well IL is a Blue state. That being said you can count on many new taxes.

Is AL a blue state? Aren't they down south?

At any rate I already collect sales tax at my garage sales. Extra money in my pocket. Tax free.

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Illinois would be red were it not for Chicago.

States are starved for revenue now and will look at any means possible to raise income. When I transferred my boat from Illinois to Tennessee they required proof that I had paid sales tax when I purchased it. I had bought it brand new so I had paid the sales tax but had lost the document. I eventually convinced them (outright lied) that it was worth $1,000 and only had to fork out $75.00 or so.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's rediculous how far governments are going for revenue. There's income tax, room and meals tax, non edible items tax, soda tax, sin tax (which the tax is five times the cost of product in case of cigarettes), real estate tax, estate tax, fuel tax, carbon tax and the most recent fart tax. Now your saying states or thinking of taxing yard sales? Pathetic. The tax happy trend is slipping far too quickly into lower class communism. Those making under 50K a household will simply work for free to live off what the government provides them. To trust in something to feed you that can't balance a budget? I can see the bread lines now.

8. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    And here's another ugly thought:
    Could the sales also be considered income? As in having to pay an income tax on the sales?

9. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Quote:X2

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Yeah.......hated that thought of "free money" in our pockets that we have to pay taxes on.

I swear this state is going backwards in getting taxes and all they could do is to spend more money that they dont have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by