1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you have to have a cock?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by JadziaDax, Jul 3, 2016.

1. JadziaDax

JadziaDax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Georgia, USA
    I'm thinking of adding some Guineas, but I don't really want (eventual) keets. Can you have a few hens without a cock, like you can have hens without roos?

I currently have 13 hens of various breeds and adore them. I'm thinking of adding the Guineas for some increased bug control - we have horses and the flies are unreal. I'm hopeful we could have 3-4 Guinea hens to help with bugs and also keep watch over the hens. I know they can sometimes be aggressive towards chickens, but maybe not having a cock around would help? They'd also be out with the chickens from a young age (in their own enclosure within the chicken run) to help them integrate.

2. That Quail Lady

That Quail Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Houston
    Its fine to have Ginny hens without a Roo, they will still lay eggs though, and I've heard of chickens crossing with Ginny's before.

The hens will most likely peck at and hurt Ginny chicks or anything a lot younger than them but other than that they should be fine.
    They can have problems here and there though.

There is also a lot of drama about keeping the two birds together.
    I think its fine but problems, diseases specifically could show up so if your buying them from a hatchery I would suggest you have them vaccinated. And I would feed in a few difrent areas just so they don't kill\fight over feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by