do you have to have a egg turner?

I started with out a turner and am so glad I converted. Without the auto turner, you have to turn them which means you have to remember to do it, risk messing up your humidity every time you open it or rig up an elaborate system to shift teh incubator without opening the lid.

Turners make things so much easier!

You don't HAVE to have one, but it sure is nice! Otherwise you must hand turn them 3-5 times per day for 18 days.

What brand of incubator do you have? I know the Brinsea models are set up so that you can turn the whole incubator rather than turning the eggs, i don't know if that's an option for you.

I have the Brinsea with the auto turner and it's great. The only issue I have is the directions say add water every third day, but mine drys up daily.

The unit I'm using has one and it makes life easier. Less opening the unit, and 1 less thing to worry about forgeting.

Well, you don't NEED an egg turner, but you do need to turn the eggs. If you're in a position to be around to turn them manually several times a day for the duration of the hatch, you can get by without an automatic turner.

My household's schedule dictates an incubator that is pretty "set and forget", so I opted for an automatic turner. This is my first hatch, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but thus far, it seems to be working like a charm, so I'd highly recommend one!

Coopedup:p :

i bought a circulated incubator. but it does not come with a turner. should i buy one?

I have mixed feelings on this one. We have the LG still air but added a computer fan and the turner. It was smooth sailing from the end of week one (had to move the incubator to a different room with a more stable temp) until we got to lockdown on Monday night. We took the eggs out of the turner, arranged them on the screen and closed the top of the incubator. We spent the next 24 hours (which was supposed to be the first 24 hours of lockdown) battling the temperature because it just would not get above 97 degrees. We finally realized that the turner must have been putting out some significant heat so we had to adjust the temp knob which as anyone who owns the LG knows is just not fun. We have finally gotten the temp stable and as long as we keep the humidity between 65 and 75% the temp is rock solid but what a pain!

Since I am a stay at home mom with absolutely no social life, I think for our second hatch we might try skipping the turner. We are thinking we might just put the eggs in foam (think egglands best) egg cartons and then use a book or a wedge of wood to prop the sides of the incubator up (left side for a few hours, then right and so on) so that when we go into lockdown all we will need to do is adjust the humidity up (sponges under the screen) and stop propping the sides of the incubator.

Good luck with whatever you decide.​

My spouse is my automatic egg turner when I am at work. I remember cost me a bunch when I brought her home 8 yrs ago. Should have just bought the ones you guys have, much cheaper, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom