Do you have to have a hatcher for one of those cabinet incubators.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countryboy1, Dec 31, 2009.

1. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    I was thinking of buying one of those cabinet incubators but I here people talking about a hatcher, what is a hatcher. And what would be a good incubator. I will be hatching chickens, ducks, and possibly peafowl.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:A Dickey is excellent for all types of fowl, and no, you arn't required to have a seperate hatcher but it is nice. [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    A Hatcher is a seperate unit that you move the eggs into the last three days of incubation for the actual hatch.

4. countryboy1

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    So they will hatch out on those turners and they will be fine.
    and what is a good brand of hatcher.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cabinet incubators have a switch that you can turn off the motion and level the trays. Yes, they are fine.
    If you have only one tray of eggs due to hatch at a time, most are also equiped with a hatching drawer so you can move the eggs down in that for hatching.

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I like the Dickey brand cabinet incubator best myself. But, GQF makes a nice one as well. James Way is top of the line, but they make LARGE UNITS!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  7. countryboy1

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    So which Dickey Incubator would you recomend I would like one with a hatcher in it.

8. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The 2 by 2 is what I would choose for a small operation at home. It is all the incubator you would ever need and the replacement wafers are readily available at the local feed store or TSC in case of one going out [​IMG]

http://dickeyincubators.com/products.htm

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Someone on here had a top of the line Dickey for sale, but I don't know if you are local to them.

10. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I have a GQF Sportsman. It has a tray in the bottom to use as a hatcher so you can do staggered hatching -- three trays that turn, and one tray in the bottom that does not. It holds 270 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by