Do you have to have a pop-door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roseraye, May 11, 2010.

1. roseraye

roseraye New Egg

Mar 5, 2010
    we have just finished our coop (8x12), our run is 20x30. I am getting 12 pullets tomorrow. ( I am so excited, the coop is my birthday present and my birthday was in Jan.) I am planning on putting them in coop at night and letting them out during day.
    My question is: If I leave main big door open during day, do I need a pop-door. Seems to me they can just use the door. It seems everyones coop I look at has a pop- door, and I wandering if there is something I don't k now. Actually there is a lot I don't know, but I am learning, thanks to you folks.
    Thanks for your help.
    Roseraye

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I don't know where you're located, but around here I couldn't leave the big door open because of the weather. You can't keep the heat out in the summers and the cold out in the winters if a large door is open. A pop door allows more control of inside coop conditions. I also have a hunch that the chickens actually feel more secure and have more privacy in the nest boxes when there is a smaller door opening.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There are MANY advantages to a pop door. In cold weather, you don't want a big door left open all day, because the coop will then be as cold as the outdoors. In rainy weather, especially if there's any wind, the bedding inside will get pretty wet if a person sized door is open. There are other reasons, but those are two biggies...

4. roseraye

roseraye New Egg

Mar 5, 2010
    See I told you I was learning, thanks to you. I really hadn't thought about when the weather turned bad. I can see how a big door opened wouldn't be to good. I am in NE Georgia and we can have some pretty bad storms pop up during summer. I guess a pop-door will be cut out in the next few days.
    Thanks,
    Roseraye.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Ditto! Even though I have a tarp over the top of the run (coop inside of run) Our Kansas winds will send snow and rain anywhere. MY pop door stayed open all last winter. I have not shut it in over a year. In the summer, I open my main doors.

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    If a predator makes it into your run, the pop door will hopefullt provide some security.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by