Do you have to have a thermastat ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I am making a homemade 'bator and wanted to know if had to have a thermastat ?

2. gamechicken

gamechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    yea because u need to know wht temp. it is, it need 2 be at 96-99

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    You don't have to have a thermostat. Although it makes life easier as you don't have to stand on top of your bator all day and night trying to see if it's going to hold temp. You can try without one by varying the wattage of your light bulb if that is what you using for a heat source. Another option I remember reading someone used a dimmer switch.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Yes I know that I am sorry I was thinking a thermastat was something else

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah a Thermostat is usually required, but not if you are a stay at home person, but if you go to school or work than you would need a thermostat, a thermostat will keep the incubator from getting to hot and catching on fire, and losing your house to a homemade incubator. Many people use dimmer switch, and if the incubator is kept in a closet than your incubator would stay at the right temp, and dimmers are only 5 dollars at Lowes or Ace hardware.

6. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    We are a stay at home homeschooling family and are home more than half the day I am not going to use it but thanks for replying everybody

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:So, are you going to buy an incubator?

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    No not going to use the thermastat we will still use the 'bator

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Having a real good home thermostat is a must if you dont use a thermostat in the incubator. If the room temp changes the incubator temp will to. Still air incubators with a thermostat have the same issue too but not as bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by