do you have to skin them

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pepperpeeps87, Aug 27, 2014.

1. pepperpeeps87

pepperpeeps87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    All the videos I've watched all show the same thing. Split the skin on the breast and pull it off (of course after dispatch) but can you pluck them as well? I thought you could do it like a chicken but all the videos I've seen just ssy to skin them....

2. Kherome

Kherome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Sure you can. Skinning is just easier. You can treat it like a chicken and use hot water to assist in feather removal. I haven't butchered any quail yet but I assume that they will be much like grouse and the skin will be very fragile.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I've tried plucking but their skin is so fragile it always ends up tearing. Easier and quicker to just skin them, cleaner too.

4. pepperpeeps87

pepperpeeps87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Doesnt make the meat dry? Thats my concern....

5. Kherome

Kherome Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    It's all in how you cook them. Marinade, bacon wrap, and cooking in gravy (or cheating and using cream of mushroom soup) all keep it nice.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2. You end up feeling like you wasted a bunch of time because about half of them or more the skin will tear. i'm in the process of building an automated plucker I'll let everyone know if it works when I get around to finishing it (don't hold your breath).

They don't dry out much, but I guess they would if you cooked them too long. I toss them in olive oil lightly before throwing them on the grill and seasoning them and never have a problem. Otherwise I'm either braising them in some type of liquid/sauce or wrapping them in bacon which keep them nice and juicy as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by