do you have to wash a silkies feed if muddy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have found that it depends on the time of year for me. There are times of the year where I have a problem with mud. I put some sand on my walkways but the runs just get so wet. I inspect their feet and the deciding factor is:

do the feet stay caked or do they get cleaned off later in the day by walking on some other area of the pen?

If they stay caked then I DO clean their feet. And try to remedy the situation like open another pen for grass to walk on to clean their feet. I have movable fencing so I can open an emergency temporary pen attached to the main run. It is very flimsy fencing is why I don't like to use it.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Feet???
    I have four feather footed breeds, and I've not yet had to bathe their feet. But we don't have a big mud issue around here, and I don't show chickens. If any of them ended up with clumped mud on their feathers, I'd wash their feet though. Perhaps you should consider sand if you have a muddy run???

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    well they have like a muddy pen were there sheds are but they can walk out of there and theres a big feild wich has grass in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by