Do you insulate the roof too?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shellyb, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    We have our second coop being built right now but hubby doesn't want to insulate the roof. The walls are however with r-13, is my coop still considered "insulated"? Thanks

2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Where do you live?

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    We did! R-13 roof & walls & floor. I would think that if he doesn't insulate, then any condensation will freeze to the inside of the roof & when it warms up, will rain down on everything, no?? I guess it depends on where you are living too. Any southern states probably dont need it. We are in New England, so we do need it!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep, we have done it on all four of our coops. It seemed to us that the roof was the most important, as heat rises, and we did not want to lose heat through the top of the coop. It was a pain, but well worth it and after the first coop I would always choose to do it while building instead of retro-fitting later.

Hope that helps.

5. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    did you cover it up with more plywood? They can't reach the roof if that helps and I'm in CT

6. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, for houses in New England, I believe new construction is supposed to have R-49 in the roofs, but only R-13 in the walls. I would think the roof would be far more important.

7. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    All 4 sides along with the roof and floor are insulated.....but then again I live in AK. I used the plastic roofing for greenhouses or decks. I would think the roof is the most important as heat rises and you will just keep heating the world as the uninsulated roof lets the heat out.

8. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Yes cover it with plywood. Exposed insulation will sag very quickly, plywood will also add a little bit to reducing heat loss.
    What is the square footage of the coop?
    Joe

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In CT you *might* get away with an uninsulated roof if you are in the warmer parts of the state and your roof is plywood on the inside. If it is exposed metal or plastic, though, you will have intractable condensation/frost/humidity problems unless you insulate; and if you are in the colder parts of the state you may have those problems with an uninsulated plywood roof as well (tho you could wait and see, if you prefer -- it is not the most difficult retrofit in the world)

Also if you are contemplating ever using any kind of heating in the coop, even just on the coldest nights, it is VERY worthwhile to have insulated the ceiling.

Make sure you still have adequate ventilation, which is a totally separate subject from insulation and Yes it is most certainly worthwhile to do the one even though you're also doing the other [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by