Do you keep drakes separate at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PearlTheDuck, Apr 5, 2017.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    I have three females and one drake (plus two new ducklings that are not sexed) and i was wondering if you have to keep your drake in a separate house at night?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Songster

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    No.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I don't either. Now if you have multiple drakes you may have to keep them separated to keep the peace. When I had more than one drake housed together We made stalls and the boys had their own bedroom. I have 2 drakes now but they each have their own houses with their girls.

4. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    So you keep 1 drake and a few hens together and then the other drake and a few hens together? If so, do they ever inter-mingle?

chickens really likes this.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I have 2 drakes a Muscovy and a Runner they sleep in the same house the Muscovy has 4 female Muscovies the Runner has 7 girls. If this situation was 2 Muscovy they could not sleep in the same house with out being separated it never worked out.
    My Muscovy doesn't mind the Runner drake at all. It's baffling to me lol They all keep to their own kind when out for the day.

3bird likes this.
  6. I keep mine separately during breeding season. Casanova with his Hens and Fabio with his..They never free range at the same time..The fights are terrible between the two Drakes.

3bird likes this.
  7. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Thanks! Sorry for my dumb-headedness and many questions--when they are in the house, the muscovy and his girls are partitioned off from the runner and his girls?

Miss Lydia likes this.

8. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    So you have separate duckhouses and runs or partitioned houses and runs?

chickens really likes this.
  9. Separate pens totally...

3bird likes this.

10. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Here are our two drakes doing their thing (make sure to watch until at least 1:30 when they do their choreographed routine!). This was from a little over a month ago :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by