Do you keep Silkies outside during the winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AlienChick, Oct 21, 2011.

1. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have a mixed flock and the temps are now getting down to the 40's at night.

My chickens (Australorps, BR's, d'Uccles, LF Polish, RIR's, and EE's) sleep on the roosts and are fine; however, the Silkies have always slept huddled on the floor in the corner.

Winter temps will probably be in the 30's and 40's here.

I am moving my Seramas inside the shed, but didn't know if any of you have had problems with Silkies outside in colder temps.

Just trying to plan ahead for winter.

[​IMG]

2. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Winter is MUCH colder here. We keep our Silkies in the Barn and we have an outside run.
    The run is covered with a heavy tarp. We have an automatic door and it closes at dusk and the Silkies are in the Barn for the night.

Auto door opens at dawn and they go in an out of the run and the Barn. Food and water is in the Barn. Aria

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine outside, with an enclosed area they can use to get out of drafts.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't have my silkies anymore, but yes I kept them outside in the coop with all the other birds. As a matter of fact, one hatched chicks in February and she brought them outside each day starting at three days old. Cute as they may be, silkies are still chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by