Do you keep the dominant rooster or the submissive rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbike, Sep 10, 2008.

1. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

The dominant rooster is larger, and has started crowing. The smaller, more submissive rooster has yet to crow. They are 15.5 weeks old. I'll be re-homing one of them to my friends.

Is it better to keep the more dominant one? He's not aggressive, just the obvious leader.

2. ScottK

ScottK Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    You might wait a few more weeks and see. We got rid of our dominant one because he started attacking people at about 16-17 weeks.

3. Mrs. Chicken

Mrs. Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    We have 2 roosters, the dominant started 2 months ago and the other just 2 weeks ago. The dominant is MEAN and tries to attack everyone including my husband. I have to go out before anyone goes in the backyard, once he sees me near them he chills out. I thought they would fight but they don't. He really is like a guard dog.

4. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    not hijacking thread just adding a question that I have. If you have a dom roo that crows and nondom roo that does not, if you get rid of the dom will the nondom start crowing immeditely. Is there such that a non Dom roo keep in with a dom Roo will never crow.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I kept both roosters, they were raised together and they get along fine. Usually they aren't more then 5 feet from each other while free ranging. They get up on the same roost and take turns crowing.

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I had two who were half brothers. One was more dominant than the other. I chose to rehome the dominant one because he was very aggressive toward me. But I waited until they were almost 6 months old before doing it. It has worked well. The one who is still here has been been calmer. He takes good care of the hens, squawking when the neighbors' cat comes under the fence. He challenged me a few times before his brother left but hasn't since.
    This is my only rooster experience for what it's worth.
    Oh, about crowing. The one who staid didn't crow as much as the other and hasn't been crowing any more than he was since his brother left. But it's only been a week.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had eight roosters and only two were together...had to separate them and decided to keep the submissive one...glad I did, he is MUCH nicer to the hens and my dominant one went to a friend and she may have to get rid of him...he's become pretty mean in the last few weeks...attacking the hens with no mating involved. Poor girls! Mine is just a sweet guy to his girls and is nice to them. He does over mate sometimes but the hens don't seem to mind [​IMG]

8. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a non dominant roo and Im wondering is there a difference in the degree of protection a dom vs non-dom roo will offer the hen?

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My non dom roo takes really good care of his girls and always gives them the warning calls and went to chest butt the dog when he walked by their cage [​IMG] He's doing his "job" just fine [​IMG] I just love him!

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Mine too. He actually seems to be better at it now that he is the only roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by