1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you keep white and standard brown Coturnix together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dianneS, Feb 10, 2017.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I just hatched 24 Texas A&M jumbo white quail and now I'm hatching the standard brown. Does anyone keep them all together? Do you let them crossbreed?

2. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I think if you mated them you would get some tuxedos

3. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    That would be pretty cool!

I'm noticing a difference already in personalities too. The standard brown are crazy! I have one little on that is aggressive at only a few hours old. He's attacking the other chicks. These are much more attracted to light, much more jumpy and flighty and they try to jump out of the bator which the white never did. I hope temperment-wise they can be kept together. I hate to build a separate pen for just ten birds.

4. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    i have a mixture in my incubator at the moment from different breeders across the UK. mainly tuxedo with a variety of colour with some brown coturnix in with them so i am hoping to breed a mixture of quails. i had bobwhites before and they are really wild.
    good luck with your quails, let us know how you get on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by