Do you keep your chickens locked in coop while at work

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suebee, Oct 24, 2009.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I sold some chickens to a family and found out they don't let them out of coop until they get home from work in the evening. I'm not happy.
    They were used to free ranging at my house, but new owners say too many predators and were scared of someone stealing them while they're away.
    His coop is big enough for the 8 chickens, but 3 are roo's. There has to be fighting.
    I'm not happy about this. They were used to sunshine, fresh air, grass, bugs, and especially freedom.
    So sad, but nothing I can do. [​IMG]

Does anyone else keep them locked up during work hours? Do the chickens seem happy?

2. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Know where you're coming from. With plenty of room, food, water and diligent housekeeping they'll be better off than many...

c'mon...smile..!
    [​IMG]

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds like they are trying to protect them from predators. They still get out every night and probably lots on weekends. Isn't that better than dead chickens?

At least they are cared for, which is more than some birds ever get.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep mine in the tractor and coop while I'm at work and then let them out when I get home late in the evening.

If i didn't I would have no chickens because they would be dead chickens. Dogs, hawks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, cars.

Alive chickens are better than dead chickens

5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yeah, it's true he's trying to protect them. He said wife gets home at 4pm and lets them out. He says they get out whenever they are home.
    It's just such an extreme to go from total free range to this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  6. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    In direct answer to your question, I keep my small chickens locked up while at work every day and they seem perfectly happy.

They might prefer to be free all day, but, we have too many large tom cats hanging around and large hawks. I don't want to risk their lives, and my birds are used to this routine. They know when they get let out and look forward to it eagerly, but don't bother asking early in the day.

7. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I just hope he's got windows. I'd hate for it to be really dark in the coop. And he really needs to get rid of at least one of the 3 roos. Right now its 6 silkie hens to 3 silkie roos. Of course I'm guilty of having a bad ratio like that, but mine free range.

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Maybe you could go and visit them and see where they are kept. I have done that whenever I have rehomed something.....for peace of mind. We always free range ours when we are home but when we are gone which can be 12 hours at a time, then they are in. I think yours will adapt very quickly so try not to worry. As others have said, he cares enough about them to make sure they are protected while they are gone. [​IMG]

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's difficult when you raise animals for sale. I think the problem is the 3 roos, as you said. We built our run like Fort Knox, so that the birds can go in and out, year-round. I think these people intend to protect the birds, but maybe it's worth a talk/visit to express your concerns.

10. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    They don't have access to a run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by