1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do you keep your PET fowl in inclosures?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Dill, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I'm getting harassed on another forum for not having a pen for my 2 "indoor" ducks (they are outdoors for 12 hrs a day so please, no 'OMG DAT IS SO CRUEL' stuff). I'm pretty sure some people here have their PET fowl free range their yard, so would someone please say that that is okay and not totally irresponible? I mean, I'd much rather have my ducks penned, and I am, but my point is, I wasn't being an awful owner for letting Dill free range. She's always stayed near the porch anyways.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you are giving them all the food and water they need and have a safe place for them to sleep, what is the difference between pet fowl and barnyard prodution fowl in how much housing you need to give them providing they are safe from predators? My pets and food run around together without fences during the day and go where ever they want.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dill...this is a hard choice we ALL have to make....its up to you to decide as the owner/care giver what the risks are OR are not for the ducks....i have lost a hen to a Hawk already..and it came back and almost got another one...not a pleasant way to die!!...BUT...i also feel bad when i lock them up in their runs....they REALLY want to be out in my yard!....so...i also have tough choices to make here.....keep them locked up and safe...or let them have some freedom and enjoy life a bit..BUT with the high risks of an attack on them?.....i still havent decided what i am going to do for my birds...what about you?....

4. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    The point with asking if people's pets do is that pets are generally more... cared for. If somone's 'food' got killed it would just be a missed meal and a waste of money for them. If someone's pet did.. well they would probably be crying their eyes out.

I do want my ducks penned, always have because the danger is too great but these strangers I don't even know are chatising me for not having them penned and even going to the point of calling me a selfish self centered person who doesn't care about my pets. These people have got mental issues I think or just want to argue with me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:not always true kiddo...i feel bad IF ANY animal under MY care gets hurt...i feel like i let them down..wasnt responsible or something...even IF they are just meat birds..

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    My PET chickens have been free-ranging in my yard during the daytime, locked in their coop at night. However, lately they have been relentlessly jumping the fence and ending up in the neighbor's yard. Sadly, tomorrow I will start their screened enclosure. It probably won't make them much more safe from predators, since I already had a fence that kept out the dogs. But I don't want to have upset neighbors who might complain to the powers-that-be. I am trying to have model citizen chickens since I am in a downtown area. The chickens will still get to free-range when I am outside with them.

It sounds like you are treating your birds fine.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    dill..the most important thig is...you really do care about your ducks..we all can tell...dont let someone make you feel bad...[​IMG]..

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, just because an animal is meant to be food, doesn't mean that we don't care for them. As long as they are alive, they are treated as a "pet".

They will get the daily care they need, the medical care they need, the food/treats they need/want, and attention on a regular basis.

Only difference is a pet doesn't reach the table, while dinner does. Respect both and treat them equally despite their differing ends.

That said, guage the risks in your area. Where ever you put your animals, pet or livestock has it's risks, pros and cons. I take the risk of loss from preds, but I accept that risk in this area and let them roam.

9. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

Thanks everyone

10. icareforducks

icareforducks New Egg

Dec 31, 2008
    Hi, Dill sent me the link and i asked her if i could join, and Dill said yes so here i am *L*

I am the harrasser apparently [​IMG] And i asked if i could add my side to this thread, to which Dill stated yes [​IMG]

I must state have no problem with free range fowl, providing the area is safe.

1 Dills yard is not secure. She lives next door to dogs who have 'killed and injured' her ducks twice before, not from coming into the ducks yard, but from the ducks going into the dogs yard.

2. Dill was going off how she was going to do something to the dogs for what they did to her duck. Sorry but the duck should not have been able to get into the dogs yard, plain and simple. Not the dogs fault. If the dogs had of entered Dills yard and did what they did, different story!

3. To leave the ducks unsupervised for 12 hours in a yard that is not secure and that they can get out of and be killed is not being responsible.

4. The reason i stated they should have an enclosure was because of reason 1 & 2

5. Dill has taken to egging the neighbours house as revenge for her duck getting into thier yard and getting attacked.

6. I have told her repeatedly i think she loves her ducks very much, but the yard not being fully fenced is a scary thing, knowing the dogs will kill the ducks given the opportunity and needs to really be fixed or a pen built. And then to blame the neighbours & their dogs for what happened is not fair.

I beleive Dill to be irresponsible in her actions with her ducks, it is an opinion, nothing more.

If i'm the bad guy and have it wrong so be it

The whole thread for those interested

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by