Do you know how to wing sex baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bedste, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
  3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Sexing chicks by the length of the wing feathers only applies to certain breeds. I do not know which one but there is not many. The best way is the vent method but if you do not know what you are doing you could still be wrong,even the pros sometime are wrong or worst yet you could hurt the chick. There are alot of methods from waving a hat over the chicks(The pullets will scrunch up into little ball and the roo will perk up) You can also do the Hennt Penny method. It is easy and as accurate as most of the others. What you do is take a copper penny and lightly rub it on the chick . Then you flip the penny in the air and let it land on the floor. HEADS= Roo TAILS= Pullet. [​IMG]

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Wing sexing can only be done on certain strains of certain breeds. The hatcheries over many generations have developed strains of "fast feather growth" and "slow feather growth" chickens and breeding them carefully developed a sex-link to feather growth. That only works on the strains they developed and won't work on birds you've hatched or purchased. Sorry!

5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    What a rough first day [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    the little guys who come out of this hatchery are tough as nails.

I wonder why this video does not mention that this only works on certain breeds. Does this mean that the hatcheries where we order our chicks from like Ideal ... are vent sexing every single chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by